'Turtles- Secrets of the Shell' museum display!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque, Iowa has developed a great new exhibit called ‘Turtles - Secrets of the Shell’ with over 200 turtles from 100 species on display, along with hands-on items and activities, graphics, and so on.

This is a great destination museum on its own, with 4 theaters including a 3D/4D theater, native animals displays, a wetlands on the grounds, a cool water-themed kids area, and more, but, as we all know, everything is better with red-footed tortoises in it!

I have to admit- based on what I usually see is zoos and nature centers, I was not expecting much but they really blew me away! A big space for radiated, leopard, and red-footed tortoises; a really cool tank for some Fly River turtles, and more. I saw a lot of species I have not actually seen before, including a Chinese big-headed turtle, a Chaco tortoise, and pancake tortoises. Of course, if I am being perfectly honest, there are also a lot of sliders, pond turtles, and such that are not quite as cool to me- but they are still turtles! (Some of the tortoises not on display included Sulcatas, padlopers, and the Madagascar species, but considering size or rarity, this is understandable.)

If you are anywhere near here (Dubuque Iowa is right where Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa meet), you should swing by. Admission is free or reduced if you belong to a reciprocal zoo or museum, or a standard, two-day pass is $15 for an adult, $13 for seniors over 65, and $10 for children 3-17. The display will be there until Thanksgiving, or maybe even get carried over for another year!

Some other cool things about the display-
- The Museum designed it itself- it is not a national travelling exhibit, but I have to say that the graphics, etc. are great!
- They have a lot more chelonians off-display so they can keep things balanced, rotate stressed animals, etc.
- They have red-footed tortoises.
- Many of the animals are on loan from zoos, nature centers, etc. around the world!
- As far as they know, they have the only other Mekong snail-eating turtle (Malayemys subtrijuga) in a similar collection... although theirs is housed in an off-exhibit breeding set-up.
- Some of the display is going to go on tour through Iowa at some point.
- They have red-footed tortoises that are smooth!
- Spring was a great time to be there- head-bobbing in desert tortoises (both male), an over-eager Blandings mating with a painted and with a reputation for going after everything in the display, mating painted turtles in an outside marsh display, and a random egg in a mixed tank of Southeast Asian side-necks
- During the summer months they have three live animal programs daily, where the public can get up close and personal with a live animal. While the turtle exhibit is here two of these daily programs will be starring a chelonian!
- Did I mention they have some red-footeds?

Photos to follow.

The Museum’s website is http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wonder, Mark...do they have redfooted tortoises? :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ummm... let me check my notes... Yes! They do! 2 of them, which is not as cool as 20 would be, but one must make some sacrifices when on vacation, eh?

Oddly- there were no hingebacks on display although a staff said they had some available.

abclements

5 Year Member
RED FOOTEDS?? It's like you think highly of that species or something!! Lol but in all seriousness, that makes me really happy to know that they have good smooth ones! It's always nice to hear about exhibit animals being happy and healthy!

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Come on who don't like the most awesomest tortoise of all the amazing red foot . And yes I said awesomest LOL

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Come on, who's with me?
Red FOOTS!
Red FOOTS!
Red FOOTS!
Red FOOTS!

jeffstort

5 Year Member
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
RED FOOTS!
I did I add that there's red foots

Vickie

5 Year Member
Wow sounds like quite a display! I wish I didn't live so far away it would be a great learning experience for the boys.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Some photos... if I can get it working right, and understanding that the good photos are on my wife's camera...

1. Some North American wood turtles and a cool quote:
izaxq1.jpg

2. Shot behind the scenes of the last photo:
hv6rgj.jpg

3. A cool poster- anyone have an idea where to buy it? it is not in the gift shop:
2j32rlj.jpg

4. The welcoming graphic. The Leatherback is HUGE!:
2lw0mbp.jpg

5. Sadly- a graphic with a compound error on it:
mtukcl.jpg

6. The large tortoise pen:
4tsx7a.jpg

7: Some of the red-footeds:
2w2kcwz.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The erroneous graphic shows a red-footed tortoise and is talking about adaptations, including the 'fact' that the red-footed tortoise has a spur on its thigh to help it bend over plants to access the leaves. The accompanying photo of the front legs shows no such spur.

I believe they accidentally 'compiled' two other species info to accomplish this. Anyone wanna guess what they are?

(I know a bunch of the old timers and smarty pants will know this, let's give some newer members a shot at it, OK?)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
WOOOHOOO!!! This my hometown!!! took my little dude to this over the weekend! Pretty neat. Where the have the redfoots though they also have radiated and leopards which is a little discouraging. They're both pretty pyramided, too. The red foots in there were pretty smooth though. Either way was still cool to see all the different turtles and torts. My little dude loved it almost more than I did I think :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Farber- my wife works in Dubuque, at Clarke (long story). What do you do? (You can PM me if you would rather.)

Yeah- the pyramided torts bothered me, but they are borrowed from other places, and rotated to a more appropriate behind the scenes holding area regularly. Did you notice the pig blanket under the mulch?

More photos coming...

'Turtle' in several languages-
e9ugpl.jpg

Desert and gopher tortoises
f2649g.jpg

Pancake tortoise (best I could do, sorry!)
2q1f9r4.jpg

Elongated
eajkg5.jpg

Manuoria (bad photo again, sorry!)
n50p6d.jpg

Radiated (I think? not great at IDs for these)
k0lgrm.jpg

Greek and Hermanns
sl4nt4.jpg

Some other sights at the museum in general and the display

Young Fly River turtles
wrhuu1.jpg

Display area, sculpture, shells to handle
4tog15.jpg

A centerpiece display in the main lobby of the western building (there are two main buildings and several 'outbuildings')
qzfbl1.jpg

Albino slider
14b2w0k.jpg

jowheeler

5 Year Member
Re: RE: 'Turtles- Secrets of the Shell' museum display!

Madkins007 said:
The National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque, Iowa has developed a great new exhibit called ‘Turtles - Secrets of the Shell’ with over 200 turtles from 100 species on display, along with hands-on items and activities, graphics, and so on.

This is a great destination museum on its own, with 4 theaters including a 3D/4D theater, native animals displays, a wetlands on the grounds, a cool water-themed kids area, and more, but, as we all know, everything is better with red-footed tortoises in it!

I have to admit- based on what I usually see is zoos and nature centers, I was not expecting much but they really blew me away! A big space for radiated, leopard, and red-footed tortoises; a really cool tank for some Fly River turtles, and more. I saw a lot of species I have not actually seen before, including a Chinese big-headed turtle, a Chaco tortoise, and pancake tortoises. Of course, if I am being perfectly honest, there are also a lot of sliders, pond turtles, and such that are not quite as cool to me- but they are still turtles! (Some of the tortoises not on display included Sulcatas, padlopers, and the Madagascar species, but considering size or rarity, this is understandable.)

If you are anywhere near here (Dubuque Iowa is right where Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa meet), you should swing by. Admission is free or reduced if you belong to a reciprocal zoo or museum, or a standard, two-day pass is $15 for an adult, $13 for seniors over 65, and $10 for children 3-17. The display will be there until Thanksgiving, or maybe even get carried over for another year!

Some other cool things about the display-
- The Museum designed it itself- it is not a national travelling exhibit, but I have to say that the graphics, etc. are great!
- They have a lot more chelonians off-display so they can keep things balanced, rotate stressed animals, etc.
- They have red-footed tortoises.
- Many of the animals are on loan from zoos, nature centers, etc. around the world!
- As far as they know, they have the only other Mekong snail-eating turtle (Malayemys subtrijuga) in a similar collection... although theirs is housed in an off-exhibit breeding set-up.
- Some of the display is going to go on tour through Iowa at some point.
- They have red-footed tortoises that are smooth!
- Spring was a great time to be there- head-bobbing in desert tortoises (both male), an over-eager Blandings mating with a painted and with a reputation for going after everything in the display, mating painted turtles in an outside marsh display, and a random egg in a mixed tank of Southeast Asian side-necks
- During the summer months they have three live animal programs daily, where the public can get up close and personal with a live animal. While the turtle exhibit is here two of these daily programs will be starring a chelonian!
- Did I mention they have some red-footeds?

Photos to follow.

The Museum’s website is http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 COBALT using TortForum mobile app

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Have you got a close up of the so called 'radiateds' Mark? They are looking like some sort of star tortoise to me. Do they even have any idea what subspecies the greeks and hermanni are? I know loads of exhibits do it but even so...

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
If I'm remembering right they were Sri Lankan I think

Madkins I work for my family's business selling industrial and agricultural bags.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Flintus- I intended to photo each display panel and take multiple shots, but as my wife was with me and time was limited, that did not work so I don't recall any species details. In hindsight- they ARE stars- there were no Madagascar species on exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.