Turtles sleeping alot

Emma chan

Location (City and/or State)
Bahrain
Hello Im new here [emoji177]
I have 2 turtles ((Leo & Lia))
They are now 1 year old [emoji177]
I have a question concerning my babies .
After winter when I take them out of the water they go somewhere dark and they sleep is it normal that they do that ?
And right now it's Ramadan so I kinda fast and my turtles get out of the water and sleep outside from example 12 am till 9 or 10 am
Is it normal ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What kind of turtles? What's their enclosure like, and their water temperature? Also what do you mean by them getting out of the water and sleeping outside, basking?

Emma chan

Bahrain
What kind of turtles? What's their enclosure like, and their water temperature? Also what do you mean by them getting out of the water and sleeping outside, basking?
Idk what kind of turtles are they .
I'll upload a picture for you to see [emoji177]
I always change their water temp to warm.
Like they get out of their water and they sleep like under the pillow , beanie or blanket for almost 6 hours .
1527338329937.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Those are red ear sliders. No they shouldn't be sleeping under your pillow. They should be kept in a large tank right now 75gallon+ till their bigger, and eventually a Stock tank or pond. Their water temp should be kept around 78-80. They need a uvb light, and a place inside the enclosure to get out of the water and fully dry off. At NO time should they be living under your pillow, beanie, or blanket. @TechnoCheese Do you have a red ear slider care sheet?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Those are red ear sliders. No they shouldn't be sleeping under your pillow. They should be kept in a large tank right now 75gallon+ till their bigger, and eventually a Stock tank or pond. Their water temp should be kept around 78-80. They need a uvb light, and a place inside the enclosure to get out of the water and fully dry off. At NO time should they be living under your pillow, beanie, or blanket. @TechnoCheese Do you have a red ear slider care sheet?

I do, actually. This was written by my friend who’s been researching turtles for years, and has a few of his own. http://aminoapps.com/p/z8t1s1

Things DEFINITELY need to be changed about your care. Read this and make changes ASAP.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Macy: That's a nice care sheet your friend made up. I didn't read the whole thread before I put up my response. Oh well. Can't have too much information, right?)

Emma chan

Bahrain
Hey guys Thanks for ur help / information [emoji177]
I live in Bahrain.
In an apartment soo is it ok to leave them just the way the are
I'll keep them in the sunlight for 30 min or more .
Because I kinda can't afford to buy an aquarium & water temp and uvb light. ...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
(Macy: That's a nice care sheet your friend made up. I didn't read the whole thread before I put up my response. Oh well. Can't have too much information, right?)
It’s fine, Yvonne! To be honest, I like Austin’s care sheet. My friend’s seems to be missing a few commas... lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey guys Thanks for ur help / information [emoji177]
I live in Bahrain.
In an apartment soo is it ok to leave them just the way the are
I'll keep them in the sunlight for 30 min or more .
Because I kinda can't afford to buy an aquarium & water temp and uvb light. ...

No, it is absolutely NOT ok to leave them how they are. They are not getting the proper care at all, and it would be animal cruelty to leave them like that. If you cannot provide the proper care for them, then please give them to someone who can, because it would amaze me if they lived another year in this condition.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would say do what's right for the turtles if you really care about them, cuz keeping them the way you are is not the right way. If you can't afford an aquarium, what are you going to do with these turtles in another year or two when they are 6-8 inches long?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No, it is absolutely NOT ok to leave them how they are. They are not getting the proper care at all, and it would be animal cruelty to leave them like that. If you cannot provide the proper care for them, then please give them to someone who can, because it would amaze me if they lived another year in this condition.
I try the diplomatic way, @TechnoCheese your a little more blunt than me but I can appreciate that lol! :)

Tightanium

Malta
My freshwater turtle passed away last year, and let me be honest, it ruined me. Who knew a little animal would cause such feelings? He wasn't an animal to me, he was my friend. I really wish at times I took better care of him, he survived through rough times such as a really bad infection, rough conditions and much more. I really wish I could go back and do a better job, however I now own an adorable little tort, and I really wish that I treat this lil guy as I would treat my own son.

My message is, please do take care of them. You may not have such a bond with them, but at the very least provide them with the appropriate housing. I too live in an apartment, and I used a plastic 50 litre tank for my turtle the first year. I eventually bought a 20 gallon tank and housed him there. If you're curious about how he passed away, I once put him in a plastic tank in the balcony for him to get some real sunlight and bask. I went to take a shower, and 15 minutes later, I noticed it started raining. By the time I got to the balcony the tank overflowed and the poor turtle jumped off the 3 story balcony. The real sad thing is that someone stole him by the time I got down, as my neighbourhood is not the best. I really learned from my lesson and barricaded the bottom 12 inches of the balcony and I always watch my tort whenever I put his enclosure there to bask. PLEASE do not neglect these turtles, you could easily buy a big plastic tank, at least 100 litres since they are 2. Instead of buying lights, put the tank in a balcony or somewhere sunny for a couple of hours. If you do see that you do not have a future with these turtles, please find someone that will PROPERLY take care of them!

Also, this should be obvious but I hear people asking it all the time, these are freshwater turtles, NEVER release them in the sea. They will die a very very painful death. Also, don't release them in a wild pond. They are probably not skilled enough to hunt for their own food

I hope I didn't come off as aggressive or mean, I just really have a love for animals and I always feel super disappointed at myself when I neglect my pets.

Thank you, and please do write back.

Emma chan

Bahrain
My freshwater turtle passed away last year, and let me be honest, it ruined me. Who knew a little animal would cause such feelings? He wasn't an animal to me, he was my friend. I really wish at times I took better care of him, he survived through rough times such as a really bad infection, rough conditions and much more. I really wish I could go back and do a better job, however I now own an adorable little tort, and I really wish that I treat this lil guy as I would treat my own son.

My message is, please do take care of them. You may not have such a bond with them, but at the very least provide them with the appropriate housing. I too live in an apartment, and I used a plastic 50 litre tank for my turtle the first year. I eventually bought a 20 gallon tank and housed him there. If you're curious about how he passed away, I once put him in a plastic tank in the balcony for him to get some real sunlight and bask. I went to take a shower, and 15 minutes later, I noticed it started raining. By the time I got to the balcony the tank overflowed and the poor turtle jumped off the 3 story balcony. The real sad thing is that someone stole him by the time I got down, as my neighbourhood is not the best. I really learned from my lesson and barricaded the bottom 12 inches of the balcony and I always watch my tort whenever I put his enclosure there to bask. PLEASE do not neglect these turtles, you could easily buy a big plastic tank, at least 100 litres since they are 2. Instead of buying lights, put the tank in a balcony or somewhere sunny for a couple of hours. If you do see that you do not have a future with these turtles, please find someone that will PROPERLY take care of them!

Also, this should be obvious but I hear people asking it all the time, these are freshwater turtles, NEVER release them in the sea. They will die a very very painful death. Also, don't release them in a wild pond. They are probably not skilled enough to hunt for their own food

I hope I didn't come off as aggressive or mean, I just really have a love for animals and I always feel super disappointed at myself when I neglect my pets.

Thank you, and please do write back.
I really love my turtles and I don't want them to suffer this way ..
I've been crying for days and finding a solution for them and my friend found this website (http://www.gofundme.com)
She said that this website helps the ones who's in need so she's ganna help me put some info ( for my turtles )and hopefully they donate some money so I could buy them the things they need

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It doesn't have to be a tank. You could also use a large plastic tote, or a small plastic kiddie pool, do they sell those in your area? They are usually like $10 here in the USA. Either way send me a link to your gofundme.

Tightanium

Malta
I deeply apologise if I caused you any emotional harm. I really understand your situation, as I grew up (and still kinda am) pretty poor. You don't have to spend much money, as I mentioned in my comment, and as Todd mentioned, you can use a plastic tote(tank, container, something that is sturdy and can hold water). You don't have to buy lights as you're in the same climate as me, you can just leave their tote in the sun for a couple of hours a day, just be sure to have a dry area so they can bask. Seeing as you live in an apartment, do you have your own private flat roof? In my apartment we have a roughly 8 meters by 4 meters section in our roof per person, if you are in the same situation, you can get one of those kiddie pools for around 15 dollars and use that.

Please do write back, and include the gofundme link so I can share it!