turtles that can live with red eared slider in a outdoor pond

bryson white

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i have a pond being made and i have a 3 1/2 inch red eared slider and i was wondering what other turtles can live with this aggressive little turtle. I am new to the whole water turtle(only had him for a year since he was a hatchling) thing but my main specialty is tortoises

Berkeley

Cooters and other sliders (red ears or yellowbellies) that live with them in the wild are good options. The size of your pond and how it is laid out (in regards to cover, water depth, etc) will most likely be your limiting factor.

--Berkeley

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i have a pond being made and i have a 3 1/2 inch red eared slider and i was wondering what other turtles can live with this aggressive little turtle. I am new to the whole water turtle(only had him for a year since he was a hatchling) thing but my main specialty is tortoises

Other red ear sliders..:)

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
Might need more info on the pond before someone can give a proper answer. Pic if you have them.
Size, filtration, land area, basking spots, hiding spots, etc.
it is a 6 ft by 7 ft pond with all of the filtration,a huge land area, and basking spots. it is around 4 feet deep.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I personally wouldn't waste your time trying to hatch out any more red ears let alone any hybrids. They are frowned upon in the turtle community. Red ears are a dime a dozen.Just enjoy your turtles and pond no need to breed them . That's just my opinion. I have a false map turtle in with two red ear sliders . They seem to get along well . I Haven't seen any problems with them .My male slider like to chase the female but that's normal behavior. They don't really have anything to do with the false map at all . I had my snapping turtles in with them for a bit ,but made other arrangements for them bullies. Just make sure you have three times more than you need for filtration. Add a lot of plants and basking areas . As they love to bask even in winter.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
Red-eared sliders seem to be able to coexist with many turtle species, from the conspecific slider subspecies to the common snapping turtle.

My personal recommendation for cohabitation with red-eared sliders would be the Mississippi map turtle.

Be sure to research the individual requirements of different species of turtles, however.
For example, Mississippi map turtles are slightly more carnivorous than red-eared sliders.

As a personal recommendation, I also suggest cohabiting a turtle that's about the same size as your current slider.
I know this was posted along time ago. I wish you success with your choice!

Last edited:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Red-eared sliders seem to be able to coexist with many turtle species, from the conspecific slider subspecies to the common snapping turtle.

My personal recommendation for cohabitation with red-eared sliders would be the Mississippi map turtle.

Be sure to research the individual requirements of different species of turtles, however.
For example, Mississippi map turtles are slightly more carnivorous than red-eared sliders.

As a personal recommendation, I also suggest cohabiting a turtle that's about the same size as your current slider.
I know this was posted along time ago. I wish you success with your choice!
LOL...I know that you're new here, Welcome.....but you responded to a thread that is 7 yrs old!! LOL, its' okay, we've all done that rookie mistake!

Welcome, that's a lot of real talent here so look around!

jeff

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
LOL...I know that you're new here, Welcome.....but you responded to a thread that is 7 yrs old!! LOL, its' okay, we've all done that rookie mistake!

Welcome, that's a lot of real talent here so look around!

jeff
Just because the post is 7 years old doesn't mean that my comment was unnecessary.
Someone else may be on this thread looking for compatibility suggestions.