Turtles to be killed due to overcrowding at rescue centre

WilliamB

Dont forget that saying that he has to kill turtles is a great way to get more money donated to his fundraiser that they conviniently starts to expand capacity when this article was written. If they were responsible they would have started that foundraiser before they ran out of space but of course then they wouldnt have such an effective plea.

Yes. I can be cynical at times. ;-)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Sad that anything has to die like this, but Red Eared Sliders are the rats of the turtle community. They are too cheap to produce and too many people don't understand their requirements. The problem would go away if they were $500 each, then people wouldn't buy them on a whim. Same goes for Sulcatas.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Raymo2477 said:
Sad that anything has to die like this, but Red Eared Sliders are the rats of the turtle community. They are too cheap to produce and too many people don't understand their requirements. The problem would go away if they were $500 each, then people wouldn't buy them on a whim. Same goes for Sulcatas.

I want to petition to have sulcatas officially renamed to be "sulcata giant tortoises" so people don't randomly buy the cute little babies in the pet stores

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
WilliamB said:
Dont forget that saying that he has to kill turtles is a great way to get more money donated to his fundraiser that they conviniently starts to expand capacity when this article was written. If they were responsible they would have started that foundraiser before they ran out of space but of course then they wouldnt have such an effective plea.

This is a good point, I had not considered this as a possibility but now I would say there is a vey high chance that you're right

I'm not saying that turtles are more important than humans, (obviously a turtles life isnt equal to ours, but if we can fix it, why not) I just think we need to try to fix what we do,

I always am confused here, why is it that humans think they are the superior species...I mean, who is to say that one species is more relevant that another....why does this comparison always have to be tossed out--to simply suffice the part of this human species that feels we are some how better than any other...there needs to be a respect for all creatures living on this planet...I do not recall when exactly it was that we humans suddenly are the superior group when it is our group that causes such permanent destruction????
[/quote]

IMO what people are doing to natural environments of animals is horrible, and we need to stop it.

However in the bible it does say that The Lord gives man reign over all living things. This to me means we can use animals for our uses. But it doesn't mean that we should just kill animals for no reason at all. I'm all for hunting, i like meat, hunting doesn't bother me but killing animals that you're not going to use (unless you're being attacked by an animal and you're on danger) is just cruel.

I like animals too But if you think that 1 persons life is equal to 1 turtles life, I would disagree.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know turtles are food in China . I'd rather see them eaten then just die for nothing . Animals around the world are eaten every day . China wild turtles are scarce . So why not send the overpopulated turtles over there . I was tought that you eat what you kill . Not just kill just to kill . If sending one hundred turtles over there would save one hundred of there decreasing turtle population. I say why not? ?? Its sad for anything to die but its better to die for something . There are commercials allover the tv telling you to help feed kids in other countries free turtles would help save a life . I know it sounds harsh but it is what it is . The only way to change it is to stop the sell of these beautiful animals . Its a problem that has to be addressed at some point . I'm just a ole dumb country boy but dying for food is not as bad as just killing for inconvenience .

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Turtles to be killed due to overcrowding at rescue centre

mike taylor said:
I know turtles are food in China . I'd rather see them eaten then just die for nothing . Animals around the world are eaten every day . China wild turtles are scarce . So why not send the overpopulated turtles over there . I was tought that you eat what you kill . Not just kill just to kill . If sending one hundred turtles over there would save one hundred of there decreasing turtle population. I say why not? ?? Its sad for anything to die but its better to die for something . There are commercials allover the tv telling you to help feed kids in other countries free turtles would help save a life . I know it sounds harsh but it is what it is . The only way to change it is to stop the sell of these beautiful animals . Its a problem that has to be addressed at some point . I'm just a ole dumb country boy but dying for food is not as bad as just killing for inconvenience .

Completely agree!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree Angela!
I feel sorry for each and very animal and human being thrown away by society.
It kills me!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
WilliamB said:

Cynical? Maybe but my thought went to the same place. It has gotten this group riled up imagine how many ran to the donation site to donate when they were done reading. I hope that they have enough to stop the killing.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
My two cents:
Ok. RES are a densely overpopulated species. But us humans DID THAT TO THEM.
They ARE the "rats" of the turtle community. Isn't it illegal to own red eared sliders without a permit in Florida? A good law. It should be a law everywhere! Then we wouldn't have to kill innocent turtles.
Its our fault the species is how it is. If we hadn't interfered it wouldn't be like this. But there is no reversing the past. So we have to live with our decisions. We also need to correct the mistakes we have made. We made them overpopulated. We need to do something about it.

The idea of eating a turtle makes me sick. But its an important part of Asian culture. If the turtles have to be put down anyway, let them die superiorly. I know others have said this, but its how I feel.

If eating turtles is the only logical way to decrease the population, then I am all for it. I love my tortoise. I had a painted turtle. I do not eat these beautiful animals. But if its a solution, then why not?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You said it better than I did . I fill the same way .

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I agree. I love my RES and could never harm her let alone eat her but you hate to see them killed without a purpose. Now saying that I hope they all find loving wonderful homes. They are great turtles with lots of personality. I love my Myrtle.
All care sheets should say turtle requires 125 gallon or more tank. Just so those buyers are aware this cute little turtle the size of a quarter is going be the size of a plate someday and needs room to swim. When the costs of the upgrade larger tank, filter, stand, heater, and work enters the picture they are no longer wanted. They are too dirty for the small tanks because they have outgrown them and when the cost of upgrades is in the picture they would rather pass them on. That is how I got Myrtle. This is the pattern I see on Craigslist is between 4-6 inches needing new homes. These turtles are usually in either a 20 gallon tank or in pairs in a 55 gallon tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't blame all the turtle eating on Asian countries. Quite a few people eat turtle here in the states too. Imagine how India feels about us eating cattle.

I hadn't thought about the $$ angle. I'll bet that's correct, seeing as how the story is coming out now, on the tail end of the desert tortoises in Arizona story. I'll bet they saw how much press that story got and decided to jump on the band wagon.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am fully aware that turtles are eaten here in the USA also . My grandfather would trap and eat snapping turtles and my uncles still do . I for one don't eat them butt I do know how to clean them . My grandfather made me do it as a kid the young one on the totem pole kind of thing . Butt don't get me wrong if I had to eat and there was a big ole snapping turtle I would do what I had to do .