Turtles wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booterra10

5 Year Member
Hi, i own two turtles myself: a female eastern box turtle named Jackaie and a male russian tortoise named Oscar who get along with each other fine. I plan on building a big enclosure for them soon but currently they roam free in my house with my family and our three dogs. I am interested in getting more land turtles so my other two have more buddies and can "socialize". If you have any turtles of your own you are selling or know anyone who is, i'd really appreciate it if you could contact me @ [email protected] with a description of the turtle and the price. I live in PA and would like local sellers so i don't have to worry about the turtles being shipped and having a chance at being harmed.

Thank you for your time and effort,

Booterra10.

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Before you think about getting any more, you need to build a proper enclosure for the ones you currently have. You shouldn't allow them free roam in the house as that is not healthy for them. They need to have a proper environment and setup.

Tortoises are solitary animals - so they don't need to socialize. A tortoise will usually see another tortoises as just more competition for food. You generally don't want to be mixing tortoise species either. One type of tortoise species could carry pathogens that could be deadly for another. You're basically taking a risk by keeping them together - I wouldn't add another species to the mix.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

Don't take this the wrong way but I have to agree with the above posts, and the breeder's on this forum will want to make sure there hatchling are going to a great home and the fact that you don't have your tortoises in a proper inclosure and you give them free roam of your house and you dogs have access to them is a cause for a little concern. Accidents can happen when you mix dogs and tortoises...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Booterra10:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You've come to the right place to learn how to care for your turtles and tortoises. What the previous posters have told you is pretty good information. Please look through our archives and read about Russian tortoises and box turtles and be sure you can provide a good environment for them before you even think about getting more. We read horror stories on the forum all the time from well-meaning folks who didn't do the right thing for their tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.