Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I just read a rather scathing email from turtlestuff.com telling me they are considering suing me for libel because I mentioned on the forum that I placed an order around the first of March for my sister, Maggie, in Corvallis, Or, and we still haven't received the order.

Turtlestuff.com says they don't have an order from me, and yet I know that I placed the order. I haven't yet received my credit card statement, so I don't know yet if the charges have shown up on the statement.

This seems like pretty strong language for a one time statement made here on the forum and once on the WCT list, so I'm thinking that other folks must have made a similar statement and mine was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

They want me to apologize, which I'm not going to do until I get my credit card statement. I didn't make a false statement. I DID place an order for seeds and showed the delivery address to my sister in Corvallis. She still hasn't received the seeds.

Since they are coming on so strong, I can only assume that my order was not logged somehow, and I failed to save any of the screens where I placed the order, or make a note of any order #.

So, I guess I'm in big trouble with Turtlestuff.com! And they've blocked my email address from ever joining their online tortoise group. Oh My!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I was cc'ed on this email!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I seriously doubt that they will pay a lawyer a $5000 retainer and $300 an hour to sue you.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Another reminder to always get confirmation from any online (or other) transaction. Most online transactions will send an email confirmation. If not, there should be a transaction or confirmation number provided. Print out the confirmation page or save it to a file (or if you got it via email, just save it).

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Maybe call the credit card company and see if the have a record of the transaction? And get a confirmation # from them? I really don't think they would push this either, too much money for them to fork out. 'libel' .....what a bunch of a**hats!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well Yvonne I'm sorry that they did that to you. I would think that if they had a problem with you they would have asked you to revoke your statement instead of immediately going for the suing aspect of it. Not a good decision on their part. If they think they have a case let them take it where it needs to go and you can apologize then other then that I wouldn't. I do think that Chad is right and that you usually will recieve an email after placing an order and I always bookmark my order page just in case they don't send one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
I seriously doubt that they will pay a lawyer a $5000 retainer and $300 an hour to sue you.

And my order only came to around $35 incl. shipping. I'm not afraid of being sued. I recognize that it is just a tactic. But whatever happened to "the customer is always right?" Wouldn't it have been better for them to send me an email expressing concern that they don't have an order from me and yet they are hearing that I'm saying I've ordered and not received it?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING YVONNE! That's what makes a good business....good communication with their customers.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
On the plus side, if they're that worried about it, it must mean they realize this forum has a strong following.

franeich

5 Year Member
Not to take sides. But did you email them and ask where your order was before telling thousands of people that you didnt get it on a web site that most of their customers probably look at.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the email they gave me a link to my statement here on the forum. I made that statement one time here, however I gave out their web address many, many times when folks asked where to buy seeds. But there was no mention of that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope they are reading this thread, and I hope they realize the HUGE customer service error they have committed. They should have been apologetic, even if the mistake wasn't theirs. If it WAS their mistake then they would have acted correctly. If it wasn't then YOU, Yvonne, would have felt really bad and they would have gotten some fantastic free advertising and a glowing recommendation from a very influential person with a large audience.

What has happened to common sense in business these days? Phone trees, lawsuit threats, non-returned phone calls or e-mails, lack of attention to detail, total outright complacency... We've all seen these things and worse from SOOOOO many companies out there. I just got off the phone with a company who was supposed to call me back three weeks ago. The reason given for not calling me back was that they have been preparing for a large show. I'm a paying customer with a defective product and all they care about is potential customers at the show.

At least we can send a potent message to these sort of companies with our pocket books.

To turtlestuff.com: What kind of company are you? We, the community of Tortoise forum.org, are generally very willing to forgive and forget, IF the right thing is done. The ball is back in your court, how would you like to proceed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its my own fault for not making a copy of my order before I went out of their site. I'm sure its all a great big misunderstanding. I'm going to the post office now to pick up my mail and I'm pretty sure my credit card statement will be there in the mail. If there are no charges to turtlestuff.com, then it will be obvious that my order didn't batch, and in that case, I will apologize to them. Its pretty hard to send out an order that you don't receive. But they way that they handled the whole mess leaves quite a lot to be desired, and I don't think I'M the one who came out stinking here.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Isn't this the company that was started from the now defunct and infamous turtlesale.com? If it is, enough said.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No its not the same folks. Turtlestuff.com is Annie Lancaster. I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly or not, but I THINK that you're talking about turtlecafe.com.

And here's my public apology:

There are no charges to either my credit card or my paypal accounts to turtlestuff.com. My order was lost in the netherworld, unbeknownst to either turtlestuff or me. Harsh words were spoken, which I can't abide, so they've lost my business, and I'm never going to mention them as a seed source ever again. However, you can't blame them for not shipping an order they never received. So I amended my comment on the other thread to show that it isn't the correct scoop, that is, the order wasn't shipped, because they never got the order.

That's all they're going to get in the way of an apology from me. I didn't do anything wrong.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Talk about frustrating. It always seems customer support is great till there is a problem...then they don't wanna have anything to do with you. I'm glad you're not giving up!

I dealt with a company recently that sent me a dead baby tortoise, replaced the tortoise than the second one died! As soon as I politely contacted them the first time they were totally ignoring me and of coarse I got S*****d when all was said and done. It does not matter if you spend 10 cents or 100 dollars...why just let companies take your $ and disappear...I think not!!!

We try to be polite,understanding, and forgiving and then look what happens!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally if I was running this site I would have handled it differently. I am refering to turtlestuff.com. But I seriously doubt your statement was libelous myself. and I think since this is the way they handle their customers, I am not talking about their shipping procedures, so no lawsuit please, but I am talking about customer service issues now, I probably won't buy from them, like I said wrong way to handle it on their end.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
franeich said:
Not to take sides. But did you email them and ask where your order was before telling thousands of people that you didnt get it on a web site that most of their customers probably look at.

No, and you are very correct. I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.