TVs The Curse Of Oak Island...

Danimal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MS
I dunno.
They've invested millions searching for maybe hundreds of millions and they act all excited when Garry finds an old, square nail.
Please!

True but I wasn't eluding to Gary's metal detecting prowess, its his awkwardness that I really enjoy.

Cocorene'

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buckeye, Arizona
Is anyone else fascinated by the OAK ISLAND treasure mystery and watch the show?
It's been several seasons now. I've been watching every episode. Every week. And of the endless hours I've spent watching, there has only been an hour or two of anything interesting in total.
It is really getting annoying. Like maybe it should've been released as a one hour episode AFTER the Legina brothers find whatever they find and leave either rich or broke.
I've begun recording them so that I can fast forward through all of the crap. Yet I still can't stop watching it.
Funny, I just found it for the first time yesterday. I found it intriguing, until I found out how many seasons this show had been on. Still, I watched a few episodes, because it kept promising a finale (or so I thought). Finally turned it off, but it seemed like a fascinating subject.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Funny, I just found it for the first time yesterday. I found it intriguing, until I found out how many seasons this show had been on. Still, I watched a few episodes, because it kept promising a finale (or so I thought). Finally turned it off, but it seemed like a fascinating subject.
Only if you're going to be the last to be killed by the "curse" before they find the "treasure". Searching for the Titanic for 73 or so years was much more fascinating, as was my last root canal.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I suggest you watch the first two episodes of season 1...
Then skip all of until 2021.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok so now they are bringing up some gold mixed with other elements. I don't know if they have tried, but if they used Lidar technology. They might find some answers where the roads they are finding lead to. I noticed they have a new series coming out. Where the brothers go around the world looking for mythical treasures. Got a feeling Oak Island is going to be a bust. But I am still watching

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Ok so now they are bringing up some gold mixed with other elements. I don't know if they have tried, but if they used Lidar technology. They might find some answers where the roads they are finding lead to. I noticed they have a new series coming out. Where the brothers go around the world looking for mythical treasures. Got a feeling Oak Island is going to be a bust. But I am still watching
So is hubby. I can't imagine the money they've run thru to find butkus so far.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
So is hubby. I can't imagine the money they've run thru to find butkus so far.
On a historical and archeological basis, they have made amazing discoveries. We need to re-write some European/American history!

Isn't it amazingly predictable though, how government and "preservation" groups can totally stop and thwart progress. Even though what they are stopping is the only reason they now think they have something they want!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
On a historical and archeological basis, they have made amazing discoveries. We need to re-write some European/American history!

Isn't it amazingly predictable though, how government and "preservation" groups can totally stop and thwart progress. Even though what they are stopping is the only reason they now think they have something they want!
Exactly!

Jan A

Boulder, CO

I agree with you on some of their "finds". But i'm amazed they haven't sunk the island yet

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Yes.
It's just about rediculous.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Who else here remembers reading the very Readers Digest Story in the 60s besides me? Mom was a teacher so we had lots of books mags sent to our home....I became a RD addict and would read them cover to cover......I actually remember reading this story as a kid with the nightlight on and thinking how cool it would be to get a chance to go there......

TV is tv though, all staged, all fake.

On that show, they make very little mention of the fact that they are digging disturbed sites....that nearly the entire island was drug up. They are digging where a dozen other Contractors dug....yet they only mention the one family.

Despite all that and just like Bigfoot, I HOPE they find something major......but to make historical suppositions based on finding a nail, is simply TV.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Yeah I agree. My brother and I LOVED shows like that but we realised it is a cycle. It begins with the story (rather flawed, I mean, what the hell would conquistadors be doing in an island near Canada. How did they dig the tunnels? The curse part is also a bit wonky)
They find something, a dabloon etc, dig for more. But then something breaks, is flawed, drain the triangle pond, but then it floods back!
They think they won't make, it, but then they find another small thing, another coin etc. And hope is restored! They get money somewhere and continue. I find that Discovery channel and History channel have lost credibility over the years.
Shows like Alaskan bush people (a bunch of clowns)
Gold rush (Parker and the Dutch guy can find gold and are experts, but the rest... follow the same cycle, story, hope, something breaks, hope restored etc.)
Alaskan bush people seems nice, build a house somewhere remote, starts to build, something breaks, a boat floods, a bear attacks, so it's a cycle and hope returns.
A nice show is Alaska the last frontier, but it sometimes feels... fake.
Other shows that feel the same are
Finding giants
Finding bigfoot
Finding mermaids (proven fake)
Finding megladon
I'm starting to see a pattern...
But I've watched Oak island a looong time ago, about 5 years ago? Any updates on the story?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah I agree. My brother and I LOVED shows like that but we realised it is a cycle. It begins with the story (rather flawed, I mean, what the hell would conquistadors be doing in an island near Canada. How did they dig the tunnels? The curse part is also a bit wonky)
They find something, a dabloon etc, dig for more. But then something breaks, is flawed, drain the triangle pond, but then it floods back!
They think they won't make, it, but then they find another small thing, another coin etc. And hope is restored! They get money somewhere and continue. I find that Discovery channel and History channel have lost credibility over the years.
Shows like Alaskan bush people (a bunch of clowns)
Gold rush (Parker and the Dutch guy can find gold and are experts, but the rest... follow the same cycle, story, hope, something breaks, hope restored etc.)
Alaskan bush people seems nice, build a house somewhere remote, starts to build, something breaks, a boat floods, a bear attacks, so it's a cycle and hope returns.
A nice show is Alaska the last frontier, but it sometimes feels... fake.
Other shows that feel the same are
Finding giants
Finding bigfoot
Finding mermaids (proven fake)
Finding megladon
I'm starting to see a pattern...
But I've watched Oak island a looong time ago, about 5 years ago? Any updates on the story?
Just as the show FINDING BIGFOOT almost 100% proved there is no Bigfoot. Maybe this show will end the Oak Island treasure story