Twerking Radiated Tortoise

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Funny. Have you see them do this before? Or were you just taking a video of the feeding frenzy?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Are you still feeding them the old mazuri? I’m still trying to transition mine to LS.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Are you still feeding them the old mazuri? I’m still trying to transition mine to LS.
Now that I'm awake ill reply in more depth (covid has me fuzzy especially when i first wake up).

The old mazuri gets a better feeding response. I do cycle through everything however, but i feed old mazuri a bit more heavy as I get a better feeding response and I was struggling with that smaller one not growing. I feed the LS mazuri, old mazuri, spring mix, cactus, weeds, wild grape leaves, hibiscus leaves (now that they are growing), dried hibiscus flowers (fresh when they come in) and then leafy stuff from my tortoise garden (sorry covid brain fog, I cant for the life of me recall the name yet i know it well).

On an interesting dietary note, I've caught a radiated tortoise happily eating an isopod. I've also caught my burmese stars eating a pupating mealworm (no idea how it got in there), and I've fed the stars bugs on purpose as well. They readily go to town on them, very excitedly. Given the stars are documented as eating bugs in the wild as well.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Yes, they do go crazy for the old Mazuri. As soon as they smell it soaking outside of their enclosure they start pacing around looking for it. I feed pellets twice a week and I have been mixing in crumbled LS for the past few weeks. Recently I started to offer a small amount of LS every day. I would like to get them migrated off of the old stuff before I have to buy another bag.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Yes, they do go crazy for the old Mazuri. As soon as they smell it soaking outside of their enclosure they start pacing around looking for it. I feed pellets twice a week and I have been mixing in crumbled LS for the past few weeks. Recently I started to offer a small amount of LS every day. I would like to get them migrated off of the old stuff before I have to buy another bag.
I didn't need to migrate the radiata, they went to town day 1. I've yet to find something they won't eat. I fed them a mix of LS and zoomed grassland today