Two Baby Water Turtles Valencia, CA. I need help.

jrocke

Location (City and/or State)
Valencia, CA
I need someone's help. I recovered two baby water turtles. I have no experience with them, and have such an abundance of pets I cannot care for them as they should be. Please contact me if you can accommodate two babies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can give them away but you have not met the rules to sell them on this forum
Also if you mean by recovered you found them in the wild, put them back where you found them if they are native to your area.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What kind of turtles are they?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need someone's help. I recovered two baby water turtles. I have no experience with them, and have such an abundance of pets I cannot care for them as they should be. Please contact me if you can accommodate two babies.
"Recovered"? Where from? What species? I'm here in Valencia. Send me a message if you don't want to post publicly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Only native Calif species western pond turtle, very rare very very illegal to own.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look up pictures online so you know what species they are. Look up "red ear slider" and "western pond turtle." If your babies are red ear sliders try to find a turtle club or turtle rescue to give them to. It is illegal to put non native species like the red ear slider out into California's waterways.

If they're pond turtles, they are illegal to own. NO ONE can have them. Try to find a body of water near where they were found an put them there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like you caught a couple wild turtles, please put them back into the wild, they are their for all of us to enjoy
This is NOT good advice. The OP is in California and there are STRICT laws regarding releasing non-native turtles. The non-native red ear slider, if that's what they are, should NOT be put back where they were found. I gave the OP the best advice.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sounds like you caught a couple wild turtles, please put them back into the wild, they are their for all of us to enjoy
It appears to me that the turtles are wild caught? If so they are illegal and should be returned to the pond where they were found. Certainly.
We need pictures to be able to help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is NOT good advice. The OP is in California and there are STRICT laws regarding releasing non-native turtles. The non-native red ear slider, if that's what they are, should NOT be put back where they were found. I gave the OP the best advice.
Yes, of course the non-native turtles, like the red ear sliders, should not be put back in the wild as they are "invasive" species in California. We need to see pictures.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for coming here for help! Best thing you do now is take a few pics and let us see if we can tell what species they are. Then we can give you some good advice.

plantationtort

Lupton
we don't even know what kind they are, if wild caught native to that state, they belong in the wild, apparently you know the BEST ADVICE (LOL)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Odds are they are RES. California is crawling with them. Anyone feel like betting?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looking so much forward to seeing those pictures!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
we don't even know what kind they are, if wild caught native to that state, they belong in the wild, apparently you know the BEST ADVICE (LOL)
The OP is in California. I operated a turtle rescue for over 30 years here in California. 99% of the water turtles that came into my rescue were non native red ear sliders, with 1% being the native western pond turtle. I felt pretty confident giving the OP the advice I gave.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
But I will bet that we are not going to see any pictures.