~ Two beautiful rescue sulcatas ~

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
They are very nice!! Did you find them or were they someone else's?

~ Rescues, had to wait until duck to take them because of the sun/heat factor. They were so big they could not fit in any container. We took custody around noon and basically watched them in the front yard for a few hours while they soaked up the sunshine and ate continuously ate grass. They were so tame and gentle, truly the most healthy and beautiful two large sulcatas we have ever rescued! I actually had several sources that wanted them, however after I actually saw them I realized that they needed a very strong fencing and opted to relocate them to a very experienced tortoise keeper who I knew very well. They are in good hands.

* We actually have another one coming tomorrow!

Last edited:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Really nice looking sulcatas. Which one is the female?

~ I truly could not tell, they were both over 26.5" and one actually weighted 101 pounds and the other was 94 pounds. Both tails were substantial! The previous owners were very nice people and truly showed passion for these tortoises. The female has had many babies, both were so tame and friendly. Unfortunately we are seeing an increase in these large sulcatas lately that need rehoming, These guys were very strong and probably had a serious appetite, LOL!

* We actually have another one about 40 pounds coming tomorrow.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Wow. They are just beautiful and look like they were well loved. How old are they? Can you tell us why they were rehomed? I hope you don't mind me asking. As a new Sulcata owner (Tuleo will be 2 in July) I am mentally stashing away info in regards to why people had to rehome their tortoise many years down the road. Trying to take that information into account with housing/how I build things/thoughts and plans for the future. I am hoping by gathering this info and facing it head on, Tuleo (and I!) won't be another "statistic."

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
~ I truly could not tell, they were both over 26.5" and one actually weighted 101 pounds and the other was 94 pounds. Both tails were substantial! The previous owners were very nice people and truly showed passion for these tortoises. The female has had many babies, both were so tame and friendly. Unfortunately we are seeing an increase in these large sulcatas lately that need rehoming, These guys were very strong and probably had a serious appetite, LOL!

* We actually have another one about 40 pounds coming tomorrow.
That is when I say: HOLY TORTS ! ! ! !

Another one coming????WOW! ! !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It must be so sad to part with such beautiful creatures, but if they were handed over on a voluntary basis it is also quite a selfless thing to do when you realise you can't do your best for them anymore. I hope they will soon settle into their new home.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Can you tell us why they were rehomed?

~ Based on all the information exchanged I think it was a combination of lack of space and because they were destructive. I actually have pictures of the previous habitat, however they were taken from a facebook page and really do not want to share them without permission. The yard was destroyed, looked horrible.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
~ Based on all the information exchanged I think it was a combination of lack of space and because they were destructive. I actually have pictures of the previous habitat, however they were taken from a facebook page and really do not want to share them without permission. The yard was destroyed, looked horrible.

Thank you. I appreciate you sharing that with me. I don't know, something about them makes me just sad. They look so beautiful, obviously someone loved them their best and now they are with you. I don't want that to happen with Tuleo and the fact that we know he is a male makes me even more concerned. Trying to solve any issues that might come up (destruction, etc.) now is like trying to bathe a cat. Nice idea but just won't fly. I need to not borrow trouble and plan the best I can. We are going to move next year and my biggest requirement is space for him.

Not granite counters, space for Tuleo.

Thank you for sharing.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I don't want that to happen with Tuleo and the fact that we know he is a male makes me even more concerned.

~ I do not know about others, however 99% of all rescues that we get are male!