Two females or female and male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseGurl

5 Year Member
I currently have a five year old marginated female, and we're definitely prepared for another tortoise, especially since our local reptile center is travelling to Germany to bring in more reptiles, and they said there are marginated tortoises there but they won't be bringing them to this country unless we specifically ask for one, they're going in less than a week and we don't know whether to get a male or female, we were originally going with the idea of a male so hopefully they could breed, but I heard marginated tortoises are mature for that at eight years old, and I heard males can be extremely rough with the females, I don't want that, but my want for a male solely lies on the offspring they will give.

However we think a female would be more suited since female tortoises could get on better, but there will obviously be no hatchlings.

So basically, we want hatchlings, but we also want the safety and comfort of the tortoise we already have.

Male.. or female?
Thank you very much.

conservation

10 Year Member!
From your other posts, it seems like you keep your tortoise inside. I would not recommend adding another tortoise to a small indoor habitat. Can you post pictures of your current setup? Can you possible build something outside?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Also, a pair is a hard thing to achieve any harmony with....If your tort is a solo tort....and you don't have alot of room ---I would just ooo and ahhhh over the tort you have until your space situation changes....:D

TortoiseGurl

5 Year Member
1428q3s.png

Here's a picture, but she spends about 30 minutes each day out of her enclosure (not necessarily outside), and thank you for the replies so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.