Two Story Insulated Tortoise Town-home

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
Hello,

Here are some pictures of the new home that we built for our torts. Basic construction is framed with "2x2", covered with plywood and insulation all the way around (all walls, both floors, and ceiling). Front view/access section is 1/4" tempered, sliding on rails. Had the glass custom cut at my local shop. Rolling on casters so we can move it as needed.

Total dimensions are 8' wide 4' deep 6'tall on 24" legs. Inner dimensions will be about 4" less.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Starting Point, all the wood. You know how it is, being picky at the lumber yard taking hours to select the specific pieces in what I call a fire-sale:
t4uvs6.jpg

Insulation (best investment of all):

-floor
w0st2u.jpg

-walls
akie1k.jpg

Show-and-tell time,Unpainted:
rs66tz.jpg

If you're interested, this is the dowel installation for the mid-braces
2my42ur.jpg

Painted. This thing DRANK paint. And I kept feeding it. If I recall, on the order of 3 gallons. semi-gloss non VOC, non-toxic. Fully primered with mold-resistant base.
2wbzy3b.jpg

Testing Electrical, using lights for the heating elements:
30j5nci.jpg

Twilight moved in, caught nibbling the fern, then taking off.
23r651j.jpg

Vinyl flooring for the 2nd level resident.... should be "pet safe".
1q28op.jpg

Final Product (for now)
eo9e0.jpg

This thing is so well insulated, that the thermostat is only on during the coldest part of the night. Fewer than 3-4 hours per night. Of course, doesn't hurt that I live in a temperate environment. It's very well sealed, it holds humidity very well.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Looks very nice. I like it! How deep a substrate layer can you put in before it spills out the door opening?

baldegale

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the new home that we built for our torts. Basic construction is framed with "2x2", covered with plywood and insulation all the way around (all walls, both floors, and ceiling). Front view/access section is 1/4" tempered, sliding on rails. Had the glass custom cut at my local shop. Rolling on casters so we can move it as needed.

Total dimensions are 8' wide 4' deep 6'tall on 24" legs. Inner dimensions will be about 4" less.

Starting Point, all the wood. You know how it is, being picky at the lumber yard taking hours to select the specific pieces in what I call a fire-sale:
t4uvs6.jpg

-floor
w0st2u.jpg

-walls
akie1k.jpg

rs66tz.jpg

2my42ur.jpg

Painted. This thing DRANK paint. And I kept feeding it. If I recall, on the order of 3 gallons. semi-gloss non VOC, non-toxic. Fully primered with mold-resistant base.
2wbzy3b.jpg

30j5nci.jpg

23r651j.jpg

1q28op.jpg

Final Product (for now)
eo9e0.jpg

This thing is so well insulated, that the thermostat is only on during the coldest part of the night. Fewer than 3-4 hours per night. Of course, doesn't hurt that I live in a temperate environment. It's very well sealed, it holds humidity very well.

what kind of paint did you use? makes me wanna build it..

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
also, is the insulation sandwiched between wood?

Yes, the insulation is in between plywood on. all surfaces. I'll see if I still have the paint cans in the garage. I interviewed the hell out of a few different people when shopping and even researched the technical spec sheets online. It's from Home Depot.

baldegale

Yes, the insulation is in between plywood on. all surfaces. I'll see if I still have the paint cans in the garage. I interviewed the hell out of a few different people when shopping and even researched the technical spec sheets online. It's from Home Depot.

just looks amazing. got me wanting to do the same thing but 4ft instead of 6ft and the top half would be split into 4x4 sections for other animals

baldegale

any idea on how much this thing weighs? wanna get an idea on if its movable LOL. also how much was the total?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Looks great. One problem. Substrate should be 4 to 6 inches at the least. Torts need a place to dig and bury them self’s to help regulate temps. 2 inches is not deep enough.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
any idea on how much this thing weighs? wanna get an idea on if its movable LOL. also how much was the total?

Yes, it was designed with the intent of being able to split each floor in half with a board. Although I doubt any time soon.

It's heavy. I mean, a ton. I had to use a floor jack at some points. I wanted the look of the smaller casters, and so far they are holding up the weight.

I can move it with ease by myself... But it is heavy. If I ever sell the house, the new tenant better like tortoises.

baldegale

Yes, it was designed with the intent of being able to split each floor in half with a board. Although I doubt any time soon.

It's heavy. I mean, a ton. I had to use a floor jack at some points. I wanted the look of the smaller casters, and so far they are holding up the weight.

I can move it with ease by myself... But it is heavy. If I ever sell the house, the new tenant better like tortoises.

i had a single walled 4x8x3.5 and it wouldnt even budge, but if i build this i know exactly where its going and it wouldnt move

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello,

t4uvs6.jpg

-floor
w0st2u.jpg

-walls
akie1k.jpg

rs66tz.jpg

2my42ur.jpg

2wbzy3b.jpg

30j5nci.jpg

23r651j.jpg

1q28op.jpg

Final Product (for now)
eo9e0.jpg

That is great work. Looks really good.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks really nice! New houses always look great...hope the tenants don’t wreck it!

• Question: the rectangle frame hanging down from the ceiling, is that an air diffuser/shield to prevent a/c or heat from blowing directly down on the enclosures?

baldegale

Looks really nice! New houses always look great...hope the tenants don’t wreck it!

• Question: the rectangle frame hanging down from the ceiling, is that an air diffuser/shield to prevent a/c or heat from blowing directly down on the enclosures?

i think its an LED light just to make things look nicer