Two years old and officially a boy

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Well it finally happened. Benny came into his own and solved the gender question. He's a boy and I'm forever scarred. Lol
Bath time this morning he started flashing.
Now my question. I have been concerned last couple days cause he hasn't been eating much and appears to just sulk in his burrow all day. Could this be teenage tortoise behavior and nothing to worry about? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412254277.522821.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. That's the age mine let me know what he was too. As for the sulking, double check all temps and humidity. I have noticed mine in the past will go through phases of not wanting to eat much and just be lazy and he has never been sick yet, knock on wood. So I would just double check what I mentioned above, and keep a closer eye on him just incase. Maybe even change things up a little. When mine was younger, he's 3 1/2 now, that would always make him want to roam and investigate what I have done.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Sh3wulf is some plastron shots possible? I was just curious as to what the anal scutes and tail region looks like on a male that size. I have some in that same size range that I'm waiting to find out what they are.

Mark L

how did he look as a youngster. just to compare and see what a baby turns into. yes i agree very handsome......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is very handsome indeed. But, I not as handsome as my Tatum:p:D. Okay, maybe a little, but don't ever let Tatum know this:confused:
I too would love to see a baby pic of him, please.:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Just looking at the pics of Benny's tail and I suspect that my Lola may be male if the tail is anything to go by. Also think he/she has flashed while being soaked but I wasn't quick enough to photograph it. I have attached a photo of the tail though so what do you think?

Attachments

• Photo0513.jpg
    Photo0513.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hi Lyn,
I'm not an expert on tortoises. Most of what I know comes from the forum.
From what I have observed however, and a couple people have also mentioned, is the males appear to carry their tails to the side and have a longer point, where the females tend to be stubbier and have them straight down when they walk. If that's anything to go by, I agree and think Lola may be a LILO lol
Flashing is natural and all that, but I'm not going to lie, it grosses me out when Benny does it. He's quite adequately equipped and I wonder if it will all fit back inside :/
If Lola is a male and starts flashing you won't mistake it. It will look like internal organs are protruding - and they are. Lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
When he was small did he have his tail up or down?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Both, Thanks for your replies
I have only had her/him since last July when she was found and unclaimed, Mike so don't know about her younger habits. A vet said he thought she was female based on the fact her underside was flattish but he also said he thought se was about 10 - 12 years old which I also have my doubts about and think that she is no more than 3 judging by other leopards I have seen since, although I know they all grow at different rates.
I have seen other bits around the tail area during soaking so I will have to try to get a better look next time. She does keep her tail to the side Sh3wulf and it is quite pointy so I may have to start thinking of other names!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hi Just looking at the pics of Benny's tail and I suspect that my Lola may be male if the tail is anything to go by. Also think he/she has flashed while being soaked but I wasn't quick enough to photograph it. I have attached a photo of the tail though so what do you think?
That's a male tail if I've ever seen one lol. I think it's pretty safe to say you have a male but more photos would help confirm it