Types of thermostats?

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
I'm currently using heat bulbs but want to switch to a ceramic heat emitter. I've read about putting them on thermostats. Which thermostats are good/recommended for this? Thanks!
If anyone knows how much heat is emitted from the different wattages of CHE's that would be appreciated as well!
Thank you!

xirxes

I only have good data on 250W CHE from personal measurement and it is between 500-600F on its surface when fully fired up.

Having run both types, if you can fit it and keep a barrier between it and torts, I highly recommend an oil radiating heater. Much more efficient for energy cost.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm currently using heat bulbs but want to switch to a ceramic heat emitter. I've read about putting them on thermostats. Which thermostats are good/recommended for this? Thanks!
If anyone knows how much heat is emitted from the different wattages of CHE's that would be appreciated as well!
Thank you!
Most any of the standard reptile thermostats are good. I use a type that I wire up myself for a more custom installation - the 'Inkbird" but have also used and see many use one like this..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ0J3E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I also do not like to use more than a 100 watt CHE in an enclosure. There is just too much heat concentrated in too small an area with CHE's and anything more than 100 watts is more than I would feel comfortable with. Also mount it high enough so the heat is more evenly distributed by the time it reaches tortoise level. If you have a larger enclosure and need more heat, simply use 2 100 watt CHE's and plug them both into the same thermostat.

AmberD

Ontario
I only have good data on 250W CHE from personal measurement and it is between 500-600F on its surface when fully fired up.

Having run both types, if you can fit it and keep a barrier between it and torts, I highly recommend an oil radiating heater. Much more efficient for energy cost.
I never thought of that, but that's a great idea once the full size enclosure is built! Thank you. Definitely more efficient.

AmberD

Ontario
Most any of the standard reptile thermostats are good. I use a type that I wire up myself for a more custom installation - the 'Inkbird" but have also used and see many use one like this..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ0J3E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I also do not like to use more than a 100 watt CHE in an enclosure. There is just too much heat concentrated in too small an area with CHE's and anything more than 100 watts is more than I would feel comfortable with. Also mount it high enough so the heat is more evenly distributed by the time it reaches tortoise level. If you have a larger enclosure and need more heat, simply use 2 100 watt CHE's and plug them both into the same thermostat.
This is great, thank you! With the CHE do I still need to have a "basking light" that gives off light? Or would the CHE for heat and the UVB for light and UV be enough? Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is great, thank you! With the CHE do I still need to have a "basking light" that gives off light? Or would the CHE for heat and the UVB for light and UV be enough? Thanks!
what type tortoise do you have? from your avatar looks like redfoot. I'm not a redfoot expert, but from what I've read from others here who are, it seems redfoots do not need a hot basking area nor really bright light areas. An overall temp maintained at 80° seems to be the desired setup. If indeed you have a redfoot, check out that section.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sills is a good brand t-stat

The size of the Che will be determined by the size of the enclosure 60 or 100 watt are the typical sizes used

AmberD

Ontario
what type tortoise do you have? from your avatar looks like redfoot. I'm not a redfoot expert, but from what I've read from others here who are, it seems redfoots do not need a hot basking area nor really bright light areas. An overall temp maintained at 80° seems to be the desired setup. If indeed you have a redfoot, check out that section.
Yes he/she is an almost 5 month old redfoot. I've been through the redfoot section numerous times and that's actually why I wanted to switch to a CHE. There are just so many people with so many opinions out there, just trying to find the best ones to care for the little one. Thank you for your help! I was also under the impression they didn't need the "bright lights" thanks again

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Amber26 .
Use a CHE on a stat set so the cooler end is at 80f. Hopefully your warm end will peak at 86f ish. Put a UVB strip light width ways across your enclosure towards the end that you feed at so they can see what they are eating and it forces them to get D3 as they eat.
I always make the end with the light also the warmer end, just because you would expect in nature the lighter it is the warmer it. However this is probably not an issue.
To go a step further, I put something under the CHE so they can't even get direct heat from that, if you do put something under the CHE, make sure it's not too close to the CHE and make sure your tort can't climb on the object.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is one set up a was using. Basically I made a bracket for the UVB to hang from with a piece of aluminum on top acting as a shield, then the che above the shield. There was no way my tort could dry itself out under the CHE. (aluminum was actually cut from an old fish tank lid). The UVB should be turned 90° but you get the idea. Hides at either end to give options.
IMG_20160807_172637.jpg

AmberD

Ontario
This is one set up a was using. Basically I made a bracket for the UVB to hang from with a piece of aluminum on top acting as a shield, then the che above the shield. There was no way my tort could dry itself out under the CHE. (aluminum was actually cut from an old fish tank lid). The UVB should be turned 90° but you get the idea. Hides at either end to give options.
View attachment 210728
Thank you so much for the example. I was just reading some other threads about them getting baked under the CHEs, definitely don't want that to happen so good to have an example to go off of. I currently have the uvb over the food bowl as well :) is that a vent at the back or a little fan?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you so much for the example. I was just reading some other threads about them getting baked under the CHEs, definitely don't want that to happen so good to have an example to go off of. I currently have the uvb over the food bowl as well :) is that a vent at the back or a little fan?
It's a vent that I blocked off. Notice there are 2 small water dishes, the evaporation from those maintained humidity levels. I sprayed the tortoises Carapace twice a day too, not the enclosure.

AmberD

Ontario
It's a vent that I blocked off. Notice there are 2 small water dishes, the evaporation from those maintained humidity levels. I sprayed the tortoises Carapace twice a day too, not the enclosure.
Perfect, thank you so much for your help!