Types of Torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
OK, I'm building an enclosure for my upcoming tortoise purchase. There's a Reptile show coming up in a week and a half and that's when I'm gonna get him. I'm aware of the following types:
Hermann's-small
Russian (kinda small)
Redfoot (my choice so far)
Sulcata (Afr spurred)- Too big
Spider- also kinda small
Yellowfoot
Greek

Are there any other types I am likely to see there? I'm looking for a tort that will have a shell length of no more than 14" long and no smaller that 6 or 8 inches at their adult size.

I have an iguana that I've had for 14 years, so I'd say I have the reptile thing down (food, lighting, temp,......)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You may also see hingebacks. Be aware with these (most being for sale are wc) that they can have a heavy parasite load. So look for cb on all torts. Another possibilty are leopards. If I may make a suggestion, if you decide on a redfoot checkout www.turtletary.com. Not only will you get a great tort but also great support.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
There are several species and sub species of torts, that you may see at a show depending on the show you are going to. I suggest you research the type of tort you want as the living conditions of each animal may vary greatly. To name a few more;
Pancake
Radiated
Marginated
Hingbacks
Forsteins
Stars

You may also want to look here; this lists many torts and turtles with lots of info on each;
http://www.chelonia.org/
Or here; http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/classification/Testudinidae.html#Testudinidae

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Oh yes (Duh)...I forgot about the Leopard. Beautiful, but I'm wonder if they'd be a little on the large side...unless I get a female...

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Just remember they all have different requirements, and you really should pick which one you want that way you can completely research the tort of choice before going, and you will be ready when you bring it home.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Jenrell, You're absolutely right.
I can't research a species unless I know all of the possibilities BEFORE I go. Thus my question.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Set ups for tortoises are different than iguanas. In fact they are different for different species. I go to reptile shows. Unless you have experience in being able to tell if a tortoise is healthy, you would be better off buying from someone on this forum. I have about 9 years experience but I still picked a Russian that had an infection under his plastron. Luckily when I took him to weigh him & do his fecal the vet noticed it. You can, however, usually find heat lights & UVB bulbs cheaper than local shops. Some have neat cage furniture too.
Good luck
Patsy

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Well, unless they live in New England within driving distance, getting a tortoise from 'someone on this forum' wouldn't be feasible. I would most likely get one from NERD here in NH. Don't worry...I'm doing my research...I'm here, aren't I? ;)
Thanks for the replies.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If you are going to the reptile show for a redfoot, dont fall for the "captive born" lable they put on the ones that are farm hatched in south america. (unless thats what you want) Find a real breeder!

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Redfootedboxturtles said:
If you are going to the reptile show for a redfoot, dont fall for the "captive born" lable they put on the ones that are farm hatched in south america. (unless thats what you want) Find a real breeder!

How do I locate a breeder in New England??

Status
Not open for further replies.