Typical Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
This might be an open-ended question, but what is the average weight (in grams) of a Russian? We don't know how old Journey is, but he is around 395-400 grams. We want to try to see is thats on the low end, the high end, or somewhere in the middle. Thanks!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
That is a very broad question, and it is hard to tell without knowing more information. For a small russian (4"-5" range) your number sounds about right, but if it were a large female that would be a bit low. 400 grams is just shy of a pound, and I know that my male breeder is just over a pound at about 4.5", though I have a female that hovers around 3 pounds at somewhere north of 8". My others fall somewhere in between (except for the hatchlings of course).

Give us some measurements, pics, etc.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
According to the McIntyre chart I have for Russians, your tort's weight is only very slightly below average. Looks good! For future reference I would measure in millimeters as it is more precise due (I had to convert to mm to use the chart, 114.3 mm). Calipers are the best. I got digital ones for under $15. I attached the chart for you to use in the future. I would weigh and measure your tort monthly and record the progress. My vet loves that I bring in my tort's growth chart for his yearly checkups so she can se his slow steady growth. Best wishes.

99mbn8.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
A digital caliper? Kate you always have the coolest things ;) I'll have to buy one for my little guy :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My husband picked it up for me. :) I'm very nerdy... Much easier than estimating with a ruler though! My favorite "toy" since getting Trevor is definitely the temp gun though. Having a postal scale has really come in handy too.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Sorry for the late reply. We waited until his last soaking. I think we measured right, but he was pretty squirmy when trying to measure. We pulled out the measuring tape and measured from "neck area of shell" to "tail area of shell". Thats what the link provided in the 2nd post appeared to be showing. With Journey moving around, we were about to get about 4.25" - 4.5". He weighed in yesterday at 397grams. His highest has been 400, his lowest about 393, in the last 3 months or so.

Thanks.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats just perfect for his size :D

Danny

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
tortoisenerd said:
My husband picked it up for me. :) I'm very nerdy... Much easier than estimating with a ruler though! My favorite "toy" since getting Trevor is definitely the temp gun though. Having a postal scale has really come in handy too.

Ugh I've been meaning to buy a temp gun too! Too bad my birthday just passed- I should have asked for one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.