U.S.-England World Cup draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
OK, so I am going to comment on the big match today.

I think the U.S. showed they are a respectable contender. England better look to converting their chances. Robert Green is a very good keeper for West Ham and does not deserve all the "credit" for bobbling that shot from Clint Dempsey--it was spinning and skittering because Dempsey struck it well. Stevie G proved once again his quality, superior to Frank Lampard. ;)

I understand the need to have an American (non-soccer) sports anchor to "Americanize" the commentary to attract new viewers to the sport, but I feel like apologizing to World Cup fans for some of the trivial, stupid stuff they say (Cappello's inclination for art and fine wine...how is this relevant, please?) :rolleyes:

Now on to Algeria and Slovenia!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't follow soccer, but how can you have a draw? especiallly 1 to 1?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A tie is a draw if there is no SUDDEN DEATH or OVERTIME.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
A draw means each team gets one point. A win earns you three points and a loss, zero.

Once they move beyond group play a draw will be followed by two 15-minute overtime periods (which I think must be played out one at a time--no Golden Goal), then a shoot-out if the score remains tied (Abe or Kelly, feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong or the rules have changed).

The top two teams in each group (8 groups) will move on to the round of 16, from which 8 will emerge for quarter finals, then semis, then the final for the championship of the world. There are teams from every continent except Antarctica. So it truly is a world event, as opposed to the "World" Series, which is just teams from the U.S.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I heard someone say the other day I don't remember where and I sorta agree with, that americans don't like soccer because of the low scores.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yeah, I get that. It would be "fun" to alter the offside rule, or allow goalkeepers to move off their line for penalties as soon as the whistle's blown instead of when the ball is struck...

The thing is, I don't think any changes could originate here. The ideas and execution would have to be from the world soccer community, because it's one sport the U.S. does not control or dominate. It will continue to be the top sport in the world, out-earning all our major sports combined, out-viewed by hundreds of millions, whether we participate or not.

Treebon

5 Year Member
Boston
Stephanie Logan said:
A draw means each team gets one point. A win earns you three points and a loss, zero.

Once they move beyond group play a draw will be followed by two 15-minute overtime periods (which I think must be played out one at a time--no Golden Goal), then a shoot-out if the score remains tied (Abe or Kelly, feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong or the rules have changed).

The top two teams in each group (8 groups) will move on to the round of 16, from which 8 will emerge for quarter finals, then semis, then the final for the championship of the world. There are teams from every continent except Antarctica. So it truly is a world event, as opposed to the "World" Series, which is just teams from the U.S.

You have it right with the extra time rules for the knockout stage. It is not golden goal anymore so they have to play out both extra time periods. As for commenting on the match itself I think Stevie G was more to blame for the first goal then anyone else! How can he allow Dempsey to spin him around twice at the top of the box. Oh well the more terrible things that happen to Liverpool players the better. COME ON ARSENAL!

S

stells

It was an ok game... England deserved to win it though... the Americans spent far to much time rolling around on the floor... :p

We were unlucky... the American goal should have never gone in...

It seems to be how it goes for England in the first world cup matches though... it was just a warm up :p

There is noway you could change the rules of football... leave our game alone :p

Alot of your players also play for English teams... so have had the benefit of English training :p

I did feel sorry for poor old Beckham... he looked like he was itching to get his boots on...

Treebon

5 Year Member
Boston
stells said:
It was an ok game... England deserved to win it though... the Americans spent far to much time rolling around on the floor... :p

We were unlucky... the American goal should have never gone in...

It seems to be how it goes for England in the first world cup matches though... it was just a warm up :p

There is noway you could change the rules of football... leave our game alone :p

Alot of your players also play for English teams... so have had the benefit of English training :p

I did feel sorry for poor old Beckham... he looked like he was itching to get his boots on...

I don't know if I completely agree with that. Really it seemed even after the equalizer. If you ask me Ricardo Clark and Michael Bradley did a great job of closing down Gerrard and Lampard quickly, which really interrupted England's midfield tempo. Plus Rooney was mostly anonymous the entire game and I don't think you can't give the U.S. Centerhalf pair no credit for that.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I thought that America was unlucky, but we were not as stong as we should have been...

Anyway all lets not forget we started with a draw in 1966 so it means nothing yet :p

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
All I have to say is that usa was very fortunate!! Very.
Different balls &30% of the field is artificial.
There has been a lot of talk amongst the goal keepers & field players, saying that the balls they're using are very different & aren't too happy!!
I love football the way it is :D

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
So a draw = a win for both teams?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
No. One point each, vs. three points for a win and zero for a loss.

In this case, a draw was considered a positive result for the U.S., and an underperformance for England.

Status
Not open for further replies.