UGH, I'm SO naive, husband brought home more tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel

5 Year Member
So, I'm feeding my Yellow Foot tonight and I see two other tortoises in the pen. I don't know what I was thinking but I'm yelling for my husband to come check this out. (I think I'm getting Alzheimers or something.) He says he put them in there two days ago. They are two Russian Tortoises! One of the them seem to follow my Yellow Foot around and both were eating together. The other came right to me. They were a coworkers kids pets who weren't taking c are of them anymore. They seem to be getting along fine though I've read here that it wasn't good to house them together. These guys aren't only acting like they could care less but somewhat on the cozy side. Anyway, I don't know what I am going to do with my husband. He used to ask if it was okay to get a pet now he just does it! And I'm the one taking care of them. I just enable him but they need to be taken care of. Okay, so I'm venting to a bunch of strangers. I've lost it. :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: UGH, I'm SO nieve, husband brought home more tortoises!

well make him build a seperate pen! they require different care and should not be together..
I hope they were healthy....
you must post pics when you can!

Mel

5 Year Member

Yes Laura, he needs to do something! His name is Gary (too) and I should add him in my profile with the pets!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California

HAHAHAHA OK so I might be in love with you husband:D..... Only because I am one of those husbands. My last tort that I bought was a beautiful little radiated tortoise that I forgot to tell my wife that I bought. I really think that you should just let him enjoy his hobby and let him do what he wants but I think you should have him house them seperate. I did some of the same things years ago, I had sulcatas, redfoots, box turtles, elongated all running around together as one big happy family. I dont do this at all anymore, use this hobby of your husbands as leverage to get what you really want. My wife does this with coach purses and I let her because she lets me:D. Good luck

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York

In the past I would sneak Parrots into my house. Joe relized them maybe a week later. When I brought my second tiny little hatchling into the house, he noticed it the second that he walked into the house... I am losing my touch! But I just love the look on their face when the reality hit them! LOL! O and the puppy that was running around the house...he thought that it was my friends. What can I say... I'm done. I think???

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California

CLMoss said:
In the past I would sneak Parrots into my house. Joe relized them maybe a week later. When I brought my second tiny little hatchling into the house, he noticed it the second that he walked into the house... I am losing my touch! But I just love the look on their face when the reality hit them! LOL! O and the puppy that was running around the house...he thought that it was my friends. What can I say... I'm done. I think???

Done for now:D

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

bigred said:
HAHAHAHA OK so I might be in love with you husband:D..... Only because I am one of those husbands. My last tort that I bought was a beautiful little radiated tortoise that I forgot to tell my wife that I bought.

I'm the same way, its drives my husband crazy! :D

Mel said:
Yes Laura, he needs to do something! His name is Gary (too) and I should add him in my profile with the pets!

Totally agree! He needs to take 100% responsibility over those animals if he's the one bringing them in. It might make him think twice about bringing home new pets.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA

First: Post pics! Lol, Second: keep them apart!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Its a bad idea to have them in the same pen. First order of business, now that they've been in contact with each other, is to get stool samples from each animal and have them checked for parasites. Besides the worms you can see, each type of tortoise from different continents, has micro-organisms that they've become accustomed to over the eons. When you expose a tortoise from a different continent to those pathogens, you might be making one or the other of the tortoises sick...even dead.

Then there's the fact that the yellowfoot requires a very moist/ humid environment. Living in moisture and humidity will make the steppe tortoises sick...even dead.

So, you see, if he's going to bring tortoises home, he needs to do his homework on their care, and take responsibility for caring for them correctly.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would think in a way, you would love a husband like that. Now to slowly and lovingly get him also into being the kind that is telling you before placing a new animal of any kind in with a previously housed one. Who builds the enclosures at your place or is it a joint project?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming

CLMoss said:

All of our pets are purchased by me and cared for by me, but my bf becomes deeply attached to each and every one. "I love you, and not just because you bought me a puppy."

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would kill for a husband that would bring me animals, of any kind. He does care that I have them, but doesn't bring me any. However, my animals, I do the work. :)

Mel

5 Year Member
Finally uploaded the pics.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31

AustinASU

5 Year Member