Uh oh-hatchling just ate small red seed/berry

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I thought I had the whole area perfect, with only grass and a small pile of leaves to play in, but a strange berry/seed thing was missed, or it may have blown in on the wind?? (only explanation I can think of!) Either way, leave it to Cerce to find the hazard!

She swallowed it whole, and I'm concerned that A) it may be toxic or B) it may cause some kind of blockage.

I am lucky that I can take her with me to the vet clinic where I work for observation and treatment, but I can't until tomorrow. Anyone ever seen this before?

If you have, do you know it's toxicity levels? I could run her to an emergency ER an hour away.

20181106_153214.jpeg20181106_152930.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you take a pic of the tree or bush it came from.
Chances are it will pass. The old saying back when I first joined is if they can swallow it they can past it.
I would give extra soaks for the next few days too a week and feed more watery foods along with its normal foods.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah, I agree with Wellington. Extra soaks are always good.

IMHO, that fruit just looks way too small to be a Rose Hip, I’m thinking more along the lines of an Ash Tree berry, or another fruiting bush, even the red berries that are on Dogwood trees this time of year, and Nandina bushes too. All similar.

Brit G

Texas
Only have Texas Oak around the area, no ornamental bushes - 2 "berries" total that I could find to throw out, plus one in the tortoise's belly! I'll definitely be soaking extra. Thanks guys! Prayers that she's okay by morning - afraid about toxicity!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Solid with soft outer capsule

If you’ve got the time, y’all could take it to a nursery and they might give y’all an ID in both English as well as the Latin name. Could be for all our group guessing that it’s something great for your tortoise.