Uh oh--New guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
oh i get to guess first.. i am going with....

T.h.kazachstanica

assuming he is flat and long

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Compared to the new guy, yeah, Zoom is very flat and quite long... Thanks for the guess, Terra. :)

Hmmm... Looking at the pictures on Danny's subspecies thread in the RT forum, I'm beginning to think Zoom is more likely T.h.rustamovi and the new guy one of the other two--T.h.horsfieldii, maybe, since he's pretty well domed as opposed to flat (as the thread says T.h.kazachstanica is).

My reasons for thinking this are, rustamovi is the narrowest of the three subspecies, where the other two are relatively "round"(almost as wide as they are long)--and Zoom is certainly not "round" in that sense. New guy, on the other hand, is too round (visually, and to my eyes, anyway) to be rustamovi. He's also quite domed, hence leaning toward T.h.horsfieldii.

But, of course, I'm no expert on all of this (heck, I didn't realize they HAD subspecies until today!), so I could very easily be completely wrong. :) I'll go attempt to measure their widths and lengths now...

Ok, got measurements and took another look at both of them from the sides.

Zoom is 6.5" long, and 5" wide. To my inexperienced eyes, she seems to be on the line between "domed" and "flat"... Definitely "flat" compared to the new guy, but more "domed" than the T.h.kazachstanica pictured on Danny's thread.

The new guy is 5.75" long, and 4.75" wide. As I've already mentioned, his shell is very prominently "domed."

Bah! This is all way too confusing... lol. =P

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
helensky said:
is it just me, or does he need a beak trim?

Maybe? So far as I can tell, his beak looks fine... Though, I realize I can't be sure about that until I know where exactly the tip is in relation to his lower jaw. Unfortunately, he's not comfortable enough yet to eat in front of me, so I can't tell that for sure yet. I'll keep that in mind, though. Thanks for the heads up. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Floof said:
I would like to introduce... er... Okay, well, he doesn't have a name JUST yet. He was a Craigslist pick up, and doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape.. Not to me, anyway, but I'm still a bit of a newbie to torts, huh? Haha. Anyway, without further ado...

Nice Looking tort .... and I have the Perfect Name ! ....

But of Course ... " CRAIG" :p

JD~:)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
Floof said:
I would like to introduce... er... Okay, well, he doesn't have a name JUST yet. He was a Craigslist pick up, and doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape.. Not to me, anyway, but I'm still a bit of a newbie to torts, huh? Haha. Anyway, without further ado...

LOL! Hey, I actually kind of like that... Hmmm... "Craig"... :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Floof said:
N2TORTS said:
Floof said:

LOL! Hey, I actually kind of like that... Hmmm... "Craig"... :)

Its Puuurrrfeecttt!!!!! ^5

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
FINALLY finished his new enclosure! It should've been done the day he got here, but my favorite (and only) power drill's (only) battery decided to officially bite the dust before I could finish attaching the plywood back. Bah humbug. But, I managed to finish it up with lots of goopy superglue... But then the glue had to dry, and I realized I now had nothing to attach the liner with, so I had to run around the house looking for an alternative all day yesterday (finally discovered a long-lost staple gun)... THEN I realized the spot it was in didn't have any safe places to attach a heat lamp, so I had to spend today resituating the roach colony so I could use the shelving unit it sits on as a stand for lights. Phew!

Anyway, now he has a nice 6x2 ft area to explore. Yeah, it's still pretty bare... I really only finished it an hour ago (and then spent the last hour figuring out pictures.. and food! Aaah, sustenance...)

Overhead shot.. Warm end on the left, cool side on the right.
newguyenclosure004.jpg

Cool side...
newguyenclosure009.jpg

Warm side... You can also see my Boston/pit mix checking out the new addition to the reptile room. No worries--all critters of the canine variety are, under no circumstances, allowed in the reptile room when "mommy" isn't around! :)
newguyenclosure011.jpg

And the new guy himself, trying to decide whether the flashing purple box that keeps being stuffed in his face is friend or foe... lol.
newguyenclosure007.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Nice work...... Iam sure " Craig" ....;) .... Digs his new setup!
Remember to give him plenty of " hide" type areas.Also some moss, would be a nice addition.... they like to bury down in it.
HAPPY TORT~N

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
So, the new guy hasn't been too keen on eating... I think suddenly having three times as much space and 4x shorter walls (aka muuuch less privacy) has a LOT to do with that. So, today, I decided to throw together a makeshift hide in the middle of the enclosure... Wouldn't you know it? The ZooMed Deep Dome Lamp Fixture box is the perfect size! It's a good thing I never throw away boxes... Haha. I also put a nice little Sedum plant in to give him something to hide under, and maybe munch on a little bit...

...NOT climb. (Oh boy... Is he yearning for freedom, or does he smell that almost-sexually-ripe young woman across the room??)
P6020480.jpg

Anyway, back to the enclosure. As you can see, the sedum plant got moved behind the "warm side" flap of the box/hide... No more escape attempts for you, mister!! (Though he's already knocked it over twice...)
P6020481.jpg

Since he was having NOTHING to do with his food while it was in his "hide box," I went ahead and set it next to his basking spot. An uber-fresh little collard green leaf, some mazuri, and a few sprigs of that dang sedum plant. He's ignoring the sedum, doesn't believe me when I say mazuri IS food, but it seems he just looooves collard! (Which means, yes, the hide thing worked... Or maybe that I should've tried collard first instead of cycling through spring mix, dandelion, and squash... Hmmm...)
P6020487.jpg

I had the pleasure of witnessing him chow down on the collard, and can now say with confidence that his beak looks great! :D

Oh, and I'm really leaning toward Astro. I like matching things too much... LOL. He's better known around here, though, as Picky McPainInThe[butt]Pants, though. :)

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Your doing a great job getting your boy all set up! Do you have a tupperware box you could use for a hide?
I cut out an opening in mine and my sully (juvie) puts himself to bed every night in there. I filled it with moist spag moss
and he loves to cozy up in there. Just a thought because that box you have might get kinda 'soggy' from the pee, yuck! Lol
But I'm sure you already know this.....'Astro' is a cool name huh???

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks for the suggestion! I've played with the idea, but don't have the materials here to do it just yet. The beardie got my last big-enough Sterilite bin AND the last of the sphagnum moss when I upgraded his enclosure a couple months ago. That spoiled brat! I'm also hoping to pick up some nice, shady plants at my uncle's nursery this weekend, to put in there as "edible hides" once all the ickies have had a chance to leech out... He's got some really nice Hostas out there that I've been eying for the torties' outdoor enclosure. :)

Forget the pee. Just the moist dirt will turn that cardboard into something nasty--yuck! lol! That's why it's just a temporary fix. He's getting some more "long term" hides soon!

I just love how Astro goes with Zoom, too. The combination makes me think of some strange cross between the dog on The Jetsons and Astroboy... lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.