Uk enclosures, flos summer house :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
Picked up a run today for when I'm not about in the garden. My mother in law found these on eBay, they are £60 (I have 55 as I picked it up and bartered lol) they are about 20mins away which was handy!
The guy builds them, I also have a much larger one coming for Phillip. Out of all the places I've been the price for what these are are great, it needs a few adjustments, I'm going to block the side of the ramp off, put some vinyl inside it. They come treated, the lid is locked on, has a separate lid for the hut. I'm also going to fill it with plants and hiding spaces and somehow put a base deep under it so digging out will be hard... It came with the sides blocked off.
It's a really good cheap base for a sturdy enclosure, I don't think given wire, treatment and time building it you could get one cheaper.... And they send it for about £10 to all over if you can't pick it up. Not ideal if you have dogs without some re enforcing but if not its brilliant. It came from a place called "riverside hutches" in manningtree. I'll only be using it really when I'm in and out of the garden, she roams about otherwise but I'm really pleased with it.

f87356df.jpg

d2a952d9.jpg

58e6e4f6.jpg

6c77e475.jpg

e5d4d84a.jpg

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
It's really good, I thought id put it on here because in the uk they are usually really expensive but these are great an they ship them :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You really do have the best sources for enclosures and hides in the UK. What a nice set up!

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Thank you :) its all set up now, plants are in, little mud pool, couple of flower pot hides. Ramp is now a slope so no flipping should happen :) a good day in the garden, just waiting to go and get my new metal fences so they can have the proper run of the garden and I don't have to worry about digging under to next door. It's blisteringly hot here today, rare for the uk :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a pretty nice design. Should work great for you for a while.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but digging out probably won't be a big concern for Flo for a while. As long as she has adequate shelter and hiding places above ground, and it's not 48 C degrees everyday, she'll probably be content above ground.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Tom the metal wire fence/underground guff is for Houdini's side of the garden haha (Phillip...) I'll invest in her side quite a long time ahead :) I JUST finished, started at 6am, finished now at 7:30pm. The garden is now 100% tortoise safe escape proof, so now I can leave them to it when I go out at last. I set Phillip down, he shot in the greenhouse and buried himself. Huff. That's gratitude.... Haha.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your garden area sounds amazing! How about a couple of pics of your (tortoise) yard and greenhouse? And what metal fencing did you use? Curious minds must know.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Ok here goes, lots of pics. Using the iPad, there's no way of getting a pic of the whole lot, panaramic like. It makes it all look small....
The fence is loads of animal pen fences, but I've gotten them about a foot buried. So far there's no problems with seeing the other side because the bushes are pretty dense. I'll see how it goes, if need be I'll either move them back into the centre of the bushes,or put some sort of visual barrier up. He's been outside two days solid now, he's a happy tortoise at the best of times but I can only describe his behaviour now as elated haha. Roll on the new shed so he can be out at night too for the summer.

Ok here goes. These first ones are of Phillips yard.
Greenhouse entrance, fence, though this pare he can get to as there's concrete fences behind.
0817ee70.jpg
behind greenhouse
e975ea14.jpg

fd52ba2e.jpg
b4150dee.jpg
36b6dd0d.jpg

Part of the patio
10939577.jpg

One of many hide outs
d0660b7b.jpg
5fa3e5d0.jpg

Ok here is some of flos space. I've not taken loads because it'll be a while before its as full as his, plus being so small I don't leave her out in the evenings, and when im out shes in her run. her space is my next project.
ee673e01.jpg

bf88efb2.jpg

bea8d0e0.jpg

e86cb861.jpg
:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's incredible. No wonder your torts are elated. I love the last pic, he is saying "should I go into the greenhouse or stay outside for awhile? Decisions, decisions."

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I love putting work into it. I have so many ideas and plans, I work pretty much 7 days a week so I love my time off in the garden :D thanks all.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Thank you :)

lynnedit said:
That's incredible. No wonder your torts are elated. I love the last pic, he is saying "should I go into the greenhouse or stay outside for awhile? Decisions, decisions."

He loves the greenhouse.... It's the first place he goes, and the last. He was in there the other day but did the trek over to me, across the grass and down the ramp, trampled my feet, said where's the food, then went all the way back haha...
08d39b8c.jpg

275d6921.jpg

9193d74a.jpg

lynnedit said:

He loves the greenhouse.... It's the first place he goes, and the last. He was in there the other day but did the trek over to me, across the grass and down the ramp, trampled my feet, said where's the food, then went all the way back haha...
08d39b8c.jpg

275d6921.jpg

9193d74a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.