Umm, Does This Look Like Shell Rot or was it Caused by Rubbing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
SHELL ROT???

Hello, this is my Russian Tortoise. I was wondering of he has shell rot. If he does how did he get it? I use coconut coir as a substrate. If it is how can I stop/prevent it? PLEASE HELP!!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372451211.765704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372451396.886073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372451419.136031.jpg

Artemis' Mommy[HERB][TULIP][TURTLE][TULIP][HERB]

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
SHELL ROT???

One spot looks like it might be shell rot. If it is, you can apply an athlete's foot cream ir neosporin to it daily. That's what I was advised to do at one point. If it isn't shell rot, it won't hurt the tortoise.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
SHELL ROT???

hunterk997 said:
One spot looks like it might be shell rot. If it is, you can apply an athlete's foot cream ir neosporin to it daily. That's what I was advised to do at one point. If it isn't shell rot, it won't hurt the tortoise.

How do I know when it goes away?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
SHELL ROT???

It may take days, weeks or months depending on the severity of it. But if it is shell rot, you'll beable to see it healin over time. Just save this picture then compare after a few weeks of treatment and it will help determine if it shell rot.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
SHELL ROT???

Thank you! I just put some Neosporin on it now, that won't hurt him if it isn't shell rot right?

hunterk997 said:
It may take days, weeks or months depending on the severity of it. But if it is shell rot, you'll beable to see it healin over time. Just save this picture then compare after a few weeks of treatment and it will help determine if it shell rot.

Thx I put some Neosporin on both. If it isn't shell rot it won't hurt him, right???

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
SHELL ROT???

Right, it won't hurt him at all.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
SHELL ROT???

[WINKING FACE]
Great thx!!

hunterk997 said:
Right, it won't hurt him at all.

How do tortoises get shell rot? And how can I prevent it so it doesn't happen again

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
SHELL ROT???

Generally from a bacteria. Also from being moist a lot of the time. If you got your tortoise from someone else recently, it's probably not from you. Just make sure you have the right temperature and humidity needs and somewhat dry but not bone dry substrate to prevent it.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
SHELL ROT???

Russians are most sensitive to damp/wet areas, they are from dry/hilly terrain and can easily develop shell rot and respiratory problems , try using a drier substrate I use a mix of topsoil and play sand 90%top soil 10% playsand I only use 10% percent because the sand kept getting stuck in the torts eyes and also the sand helps change the texture a little ... Even though Russians are sensitive to wet areas they still need to have water provided all the time ..

I <3 my torts!

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
SHELL ROT???

rocky1998 said:
Russians are most sensitive to damp/wet areas, they are from dry/hilly terrain and can easily develop shell rot and respiratory problems , try using a drier substrate I use a mix of topsoil and play sand 90%top soil 10% playsand I only use 10% percent because the sand kept getting stuck in the torts eyes and also the sand helps change the texture a little ... Even though Russians are sensitive to wet areas they still need to have water provided all the time ..

I <3 my torts!

Thx, I use coco coir and its usually always dry but when I first change it its very moist, could this have caused the she rot? And does it occur in such a short period of time or does it take longer to develope???

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello there,

I have a 6 yr old male russian. I have him in coco coir and I thing he has shell rot or a type of rub burn. When he goes outside in his outdoor cage he's constantly rubbing on the walls. And he sort of drags himself when he walks. Please help determine what this is and how to cute it, thanks!ImageUploadedByTortForum1372508839.102844.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372508864.171905.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372508892.707828.jpgAre his eyes puffy?ImageUploadedByTortForum1372508995.720926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
If your tortoise drags himself when walking and can't fully lift himself, there may be a problem with tht as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pics are a little to blurry to see what is going on. There is something, but can't tell if damage or rot. Try to take a couple pics that are not quite so close and see if that will show up better.

Status
Not open for further replies.