Unborn twins-not pleasant but interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The following are photos of a pair of unborn twin Marginated tortoises that I had recently. Unfortunately at some point near the end of their incubation it appears as though they became to big inside of the egg and ruptured their yolk sac. Both are fully formed, connected only at the yolk sac. I just decided to post because I thought some might find it interesting.

DSC01397.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01392.jpg

S

stells

Sorry to hear they didn't make it...

I have had a disaster with twins in the past too... think i posted it somewhere on here... its not the best of experiences i have had...

Thanks for posting these Gary

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Very unique and interesting pics, thank you for posting. Sorry for the loss...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very interesting. Have you ever had a pair make it?

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Very interesting and very nice pics. i am sorry for your loss as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would think that each baby would be slightly smaller than normal, huh? But they're both full sized. No wonder they couldn't make it in that small egg. I'm just amazed at how large each of them is. Too bad they didn't make it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's hard to tell by the photos with nothing to compare to but they were both full hatchling size which I amazed by. Some time ago I had twin Eastern Hermann's. One was slightly smaller than normal size and lived, the second was fully developed but smaller than normal and did not survive hatching. But I've never had two this size so well developed. I think had the yolk sac not ruptured they both would have been "normal".

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Excellent photo thanks for sharing. Hopefully twins will survive next time around.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Interesting. I've had "twin" ducks that didn't make it in the hatching stage. Don't know if it's the same, but with chicks/ducklings, there is only 1 air sac and not enough room for both in the egg. If they make it to the hatching stage they need help to get out of the egg. Most times 1 or both don't make it. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.