UNCALCIFIED EGG

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
This was laid by one of our most productive female aldabras last night. This was the first out followed by eight additional perfect shelled eggs.

vy08kl.jpg

1zozz81.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ALDABRAMAN said:
This was laid by one of our most productive female aldabras last night. This was the first out followed by eight additional perfect shelled eggs.

vy08kl.jpg

WOW Thats a first for me, has this ever happend before

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
bigred said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

WOW Thats a first for me, has this ever happend before

* We have never had one like this before, however have had some that were under calcified and over calcified.

29nccj4.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is this normal for females to lay one of these? If not, what could have cause this calcified deposit? It looks humongous.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
Is this normal for females to lay one of these? If not, what could have cause this calcified deposit? It looks humongous.

* This is not typical for us, however it is the same exact size of a regular Aldabra calcified egg (about 2"), just has not calcified. I have heard of this, however never experienced one in person until last night. It is not a calcium deposit, it is a regular egg with no calcium over the exterior. It is basically a yolk only. I do not know what might have caused or contributed to this, however i did call my friends in the giant tortoise community and a few have experienced similar with both the Aldabra and Galapagos species.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
The Tortoise that laid the Golden Egg? Interesting.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow. Fascinating. The additional 8 eggs are okay, thank goodness. But where was the calcium, where did it go or not go, for the first one? So interesting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have found eggs like this in my Manouria nests, however, they actually looked like eggs without shells - albumen and yolk and messy.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This is pretty common with some of the marine turtles. Consider how closely ALDABRAMAN monitors his tortoises, increasing the chance he would find what a great many people would overlook.

Remember all of the egg is made from extracellular materials along a "tube". They are not the result of a cell division.

Dave Lee published an article in a journal, based out of the state museum of North Carolina of a goose that laid an egg, with a real golfball inside. Really, not a joke.

When you are done puzzling that, consider the more rare thing is the close monitoring of these tortoises that resulted in the observation.

Will

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Will said:
This is pretty common with some of the marine turtles. Consider how closely ALDABRAMAN monitors his tortoises, increasing the chance he would find what a great many people would overlook.

Remember all of the egg is made from extracellular materials along a "tube". They are not the result of a cell division.

Dave Lee published an article in a journal, based out of the state museum of North Carolina of a goose that laid an egg, with a real golfball inside. Really, not a joke.

When you are done puzzling that, consider the more rare thing is the close monitoring of these tortoises that resulted in the observation.

Will

I've never see that either. But then I get the point that since we are (mostly) keen observers of what goes on with our animals, we are bound to see things that most likely, happen on a regular basis outside of captivity.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WOW... I never seen an egg before from a tort....Very interesting. Is it ok to put it with the other eggs?? Are you going to see what happens to this egg???

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would love to see if that egg makes it . It would be cool to put a camera on it to see it grow . Like one of them clear radios so you can see how it works .

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
My old female I.elongata laid several eggs in 2010-2011 that had no outer calcium layer. These were dropped on the surface not nested. She had not laid eggs for many years prior this. I got her in 2008. In 2012 and 2013 she has produced several viable clutches of normal eggs.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Very interesting.... despite not having an outer shell, it seems to be holding its shape pretty well. Does it feel soft, or like a normal egg?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Shelless eggs are relatively common in the chicken world.

Shelless eggs are relatively common in the chicken world.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Very common for chickens. Coolest thing, too. They're healthy to and viable (if breeding).