Under bite and little crack/gap in lower beak and clicking/popping noise

MARC4

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
*to start ill say I'm very new to tortoise care and doing my best to learn quickly, but I dont always known what to look for until something comes up, such as this.

It's actually several questions I've now got in trying to find the answer to 1. Is an under bite normal? Ive tried doing some searches and keep finding info on over grown beaks. I have 3 babies who are almost 9 months old. The largest one "Turtle" makes a clicking noise when he chews and since researching beaks ive noticed its as he (I refer to them all as boys as I have a family of all boys, dog included) shuts his mouth and it hits together then his lower jaw "pops" back into the over bite position. My middle sized one "Thomas" started the pop/click noise yesterday but doesn't do it as often.

My main question is when I heard my middle one, "Thomas" start popping I looked at each ones mouth and noticed my little guy "Kyle" had the under bite and a slight split to the lower beak at what I would call his "lip" area. He also is the only one who gets mazuri all over his face/head when he eats (up by his eyes and nose, I sit by them and use damp fingers to wipe his face as he's eating to help keep it out of his eyes and nose) could it be related to the under bite he has? All 3 eat fine. Mazuri, weeds, grocery greens (i have grass they are learning about and the litte one hasnt tried eating it but even the other 2 cannot bite it off yet, I cut it up and add it to their mazuri)

Im just not sure if I should be doing something about it. I read/learned their beaks continue to grow like our nails? Should I offer something hard for them to chew (ive seen a tortoise block and cuttle bone? Is one better than the other?) Will that help keep their beaks at the appropriate length?

I have a picture of little Kyle's beak but I'm not sure how to add them. It's telling me I dont have permission?

*sorry if that post is all over. First day of summer vacation for my 3 boys (who named the tortoises) and ive had to start and stop this post multipe times to help them as well as to clean tortoise faces.

MARC4

Ca
Here is little Kyle. Looks like it's letting me add the picture now20180609_083545.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a desert tortoise, huh? The overshot lower jaw seems to be associated with calcium and diet. I don't know this FOR SURE, however, I had several Manouria with that problem, and when I saw a few of them after they'd lived with their new owners for several months, the beak problem had resolved. A better diet and more calcium seemed to be the deciding factor.

You can take a nail clipper and gently nip off a tiny bit all around the edge of that lower jaw. This will help the split to not split more. Be careful to only take a very tiny bit off. Then make sure to feed them a good, calcium-rich diet, with a little pinch of calcium powder on the food two or three times a week. You can also place a cuttlebone on the floor of the enclosure and just leave it there.

MARC4

Ca
Yes they are desert tortoises. I never thought I'd fall so in love with them. I didnt realize they have so much personality. But I hate scambling trying to learn what I need to keep them healthy.
The lady gave us mazuri with them and said that was needed to help their shells harden so I didnt think I needed added calcium. They each get 1 pellet a day with romaine and occasional kale and spinich. Ive been growing burmuda grass in a plastic pool outside which I cut and add to the mazuri along with a couple weeds in my yard i know they can eat. Im working on some flowers and i want to order a desert tortoise seed mix to add to the pool ("tortoise garden" as my son has named it) I'm trying to give them a better variety.

So even with the mazuri daily I should still add calcium to their food a couple times a week? I hope im not hurting them to much by not knowing this stuff.

So far they all seem active and eat great. They let us pet their heads without it scaring them and my boys love how they come up to the glass when they see them. Or at the very least tip their heads to see if we have anything good. My middle son feels like it means they love him

Last edited:

EricW

Houston, TX
Looks like a desert tortoise, huh? The overshot lower jaw seems to be associated with calcium and diet. I don't know this FOR SURE, however, I had several Manouria with that problem, and when I saw a few of them after they'd lived with their new owners for several months, the beak problem had resolved. A better diet and more calcium seemed to be the deciding factor.

You can take a nail clipper and gently nip off a tiny bit all around the edge of that lower jaw. This will help the split to not split more. Be careful to only take a very tiny bit off. Then make sure to feed them a good, calcium-rich diet, with a little pinch of calcium powder on the food two or three times a week. You can also place a cuttlebone on the floor of the enclosure and just leave it there.
@Yvonne G - old thread, but I used the search feature and I wanted to say thank you. I had received a Burmese Star that had a split lower jaw, same as in the pic on this thread. This post helped me, the tortoise no longer has a split jaw. Lots of calcium seemed to do the trick. I wish I took pics along the way and did more documentation to provide here, but I didn't.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're welcome! Always nice to hear one's advice was well received and helpful.