Underground Hibernation for my desert tortoise

Earthmama

I have 3 desert tortoises that are about 3-4 yrs of age. They have hibernated before in past winters but in a insulated plastic tub that I would place in the shed. This year they made their first burrow and have not come out since its gotten cold. I have covered it up with tarp, however we live in fresno ca and it has been raining heavily. So much so that i'm afraid the water will saturate their burrow? Im not sure how deep they are. I can't feel any of them when I stick my hand down in the burrow. Should I be concerned? Or do you think the burrow is deep enough to keep them dry? I'm debating digging up the burrow? Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks so much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ah geez. . . darn it. I'm so sorry I missed your birthday. I don't know how I missed it. I just now looked at the list and you name is the very first one. I'll make up for it soon as I can. Watch for it in the Off Topic Chit Chat section.

Now, on to your question:

Desert tortoises should not be hibernated in the ground in this area. It's way too wet for them, even in our drought. They will surely get sick and die. Dig them up if you have to, but get them out of the ground and box them up in cardboard boxes with shredded newspaper.

Earthmama

Thank you for responding... My husband and I will get them out of there now! Didn't see my digging up tortoises for my birthday !! hahaha
Thanks again!!

Earthmama

Im sure glad I dug them up, they were only 2 feet deep and about 5 feet long with a few bends in the burrow. The Burrow was not del enough to keep them safe from the elements the water was damp and cold. They are currently boxed up.
Thank you thank you!!! I love my DT's. :tort::<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know what you mean. Mine are special to me too.