Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well its finally done. This is pretty much what I designed a few months ago. I took an above ground box, cut the bottom out, added a portal for access on top, built a tunnel to get to it, built an above ground covered chamber for lounging and keeping rain out, and, with the help of Cory and Gus dug a really really big hole to put it in. Here's the play by play:

Cory and Gus dug the majority of the hole in less than an hour. I couldn't believe how fast it went. I dug the entrance tunnel part. Here are the fella's just after breaking ground.
10s6st0.jpg

Here they are less than an hour later.
11uxm5u.jpg

Here is the box. I've started the portal here and already added entryway cover.
20jdlh.jpg

Here is the inside. You can see the first temp probe mounted to the wall there.
2d0gkz4.jpg

Here it is in the ground with the tunnel attached.
105pa92.jpg

And here it is partially buried. I had to carefully fill it in around the sides so there wouldn't be any air pockets that could channel water during the rainy season.
6gvokh.jpg

Here it is partial buried with only the access portal sticking up.
2yv6noo.jpg

Here's the access portal showing the interior lid. There is 1" thick foil-backed insulation on the underside of this lid.
fulus.jpg

Here is the above ground lounging chamber. In the background you can see the outer portal lid. There is also 1" thick foil-backed insulation on the underside of that lid.
2dhheea.jpg

Here's the above ground lizard lounge all covered up and ready to go. Soon it will be covered with weeds and look very "natural". I built this because it stays very cool down below in the main box, and I wanted Cleo to have an above ground warmer area to hang out in, but still feel secure.
ay4w1y.jpg

Here is the recipient of all this work enjoying her tunnel.
qqzxcm.jpg

Here is the interior of the above ground "Lizard Lounge" showing the second temp probes location.
w8wajc.jpg

Here are the temps. The left one shows the temp at the back of the lizard lounge on the top. The right one shows the temp and humidity in the underground box. The lower numbers are ambient air temps where the base units that you see here are sitting. It says the outside humidity is 16%, but its lower. These gauges just don't go any lower than that.
2a62y6p.jpg

I felt like it was just too cold down there and leaving the lid off on a 90 degree day did not change the temp even one degree, so I stuck a 5 gallon jug of hot water down there and put the lids back on. That warmed it all the way up to 64 from 57. This still seems too cold, but I imagine underground temps in Argentina must do the same thing. Am I wrong?
nyg39i.jpg

She figured out the tunnel really quickly on her first day out there. So now whenever I approach the cage she dives into her tunnel. I'm not too worried about it. Every time I move a lizard outside it takes a week or two for them to settle down. She already calmed down a lot after just two days. She let me open the door and snap this pic while only calmly walking away.
2yxj1pe.jpg

For this one she was sitting right in front of her escape tunnel. I snapped the pic and took one step and, POOF!, she was gone!
2ytwthe.jpg

I'll get better pics of her as she calms down over the next few days. She's exploring and using the whole cage already and each time she sees me she's a little calmer. She'll be eating from my hand in a few days. Hope you like my latest project. I'll be watching those temps all summer long to see what it does. Next project is Daisy's underground box. Since sulcatas don't hibernate, Daisy's will have power and a heat source too.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
VERY cool man! Awesome idea. Great looking tegu also. they are by far my favorite lizards.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom, That is Outstanding and very creative. You guys do fantastic work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red Earth Exotics said:
VERY cool man! Awesome idea. Great looking tegu also. they are by far my favorite lizards.

Do you have any? I really like both these and the reds. Eventually I'd like to start a breeding operation. What I learn with this set up will tell me how feasible it will be.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Tom said:
Red Earth Exotics said:

Do you have any? I really like both these and the reds. Eventually I'd like to start a breeding operation. What I learn with this set up will tell me how feasible it will be.

I had one of Bobby Hill's Extreme Giants for about a year and had to get rid of him. (Got rid of my snakes also. Just focusing on torts.) HOWEVER, he was AWESOME! He was just starting to develope those huge jowls. I sold him to a buddy of mine here and he has grown! He's around 5 feet long now and very hefty!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am so jelous. You make building enclosurers look so easy. I can't believe how great they look.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am so jelous. You make building enclosurers look so easy. I can't believe how great they look.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JohnathanO said:
That looks great Tom, I've always wanted to get in to tegus, How many do you have?

At one time I had a half dozen. I really like them. The regular Argentines are my favorite. Either the black and whites or the reds. Right now I just have the one b/w and a red female. My red female is about to get shipped out on a breeding loan however. Her name is Ginger. This pic is from last week. Her color looks really dull as she's just come out of hibernation and hasn't shed yet.
2qjcbpk.jpg

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Great job, Tom, et. Al. I'm stealing the construction plans. Can I steal the construction workers, too? ;-)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HLogic said:
Great job, Tom, et. Al. I'm stealing the construction plans. Can I steal the construction workers, too? ;-)

Steal away. I actually put a lot of thought into the design, but its all still a learning process. Each new one will get improvements and tweaks from what I learn on the first ones.

I'm very grateful to Gus and Cory. Gus actually came back and dug another hole the same size for Daisy's enclosure which I'm in the process of building right now. Thanks Gus!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.