Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Scooter and Bert were hatched July of '98. Delores was hatched June'00. I didn't get Delores until she was already 3 years old and I raised Scooter and Bert from hatchlings. I've always fed them lightly and skipped a day here and there. They ate a lot of store bought leafy greens for the first few years, but for the last four or five its been all grass, weeds, leaves and cactus with only occasional grocery store greens for variety and hydration in the hot, dry summer months. They've had a lot of variety their whole lives.

My question is: Are they undersized for their age? I've recently found a few things online about torts their age being significantly larger. I've tried to grow them slowly on purpose in a futile effort to prevent pyramiding. I used to think, like everyone else, that diet was a major factor in pyramiding. They are and always have been very active and healthy with excellent appetites. They've always had lots of sunshine and exercise in huge pens with natural graze too.

Scooter is the first pic. He's 39.2 pounds.
Bert is the second pic. He's 32 pounds.
Delores is the third pic. She's 25.2 pounds.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2697/4302344570_82f2af8e21_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4302338276_fc4a81d6b7_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2748/4301593619_607b2e4fb8_b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way they look, either size or pyramid.

I've heard (but I can't back it up with experience due to having none die that I could dissect) that slow growth is best for healthy shell and bones.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob will be 11 this year and just before Christmas he was 68 pounds. I have only had him since 2004 and he was already pyramided then. All the growth under my care looks fairly good. I figure he's 70 to 75 pounds now. He just loves cooked squash, and is very curious about the camera. I just can't get a good picture of him...

1okc29.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm going to have to say yes to the under-sized for their age. Are you sure of the sexes? Be a bit worse if any of them are males.

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
egyptiandan said:
I'm going to have to say yes to the under-sized for their age. Are you sure of the sexes? Be a bit worse if any of them are males.

Danny

For years I thought Bert was Bertha, but then, about 3 years ago he started trying to breed Delores. I've always known Scooter was a male. Both males have extended their ... uh... you know... while breeding.... so I'm 100% sure. Delores laid 3 infertile eggs last December, so I'm 100% sure about her too.

Maggies Bob seems about normal size for their age. It will be interesting to see in another 10 years if mine catch up, because I intentionally grew them slower, or if they are permanently stunted.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I just looked at a sulcata growth chart because of another post and found my Morty to be right where she should be for her age; 2 1/2 years, 295mm scl, and 3.90Kg. I am a novice at having a sulcata but after all I've read, here and other web sites, and info from the vet, I'm just happy that Mortimer is still alive and appearingly content. What I am curious about is how much "genetics" plays a part of "normal" growth? If it is related, than nothing we do can change what the outcome will be when "growth" reaches it's peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.