Undersized Sulcata Moving Outdoors

Audjpodj

Location (City and/or State)
CERRITOS, CA
Hello,
I have what I have been told is a 10 year old (confirmed) African Sulcata that is only about 7 inches long. I inherited her from a family member who kept her in a 40 gallon tank (she can see out of it, which I have heard is stressful), with a red heat lamp and fed her mostly romaine lettuce. I have been researching the internet and I think I have been able to confirm she is a sulcata by looking at pictures, but I have also come to the understanding that her growth is very stunted to be this old and this small. I have started getting alfalfa hay and other more fibrous materials into her diet and she has taken to them well. I have also started to keep water in her habitat as the previous owner only soaked her every other week or so. I know she needs a different bulb, but am considering moving her outside to provide her more access to sunlight and a larger habitat.
Can anyone confirm that this is indeed an African sulcata? I know she needs a different bulb, but am considering moving her outside to provide her more access to sunlight and a larger habitat. I live in southern California where the temperature right now gets to about 80 during the day (high) and 45 at night. I do not want to stress the poor girl out even more, but would it be a good idea to make this move? All that I can find online is about baby torts moving outside when mine is a small adult-ish one. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice you might have.

Attachments

• 20201130_122840.jpg
    20201130_122840.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20201130_122854.jpg
    20201130_122854.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20201130_122904.jpg
    20201130_122904.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20201130_122911.jpg
    20201130_122911.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
welcome to the forum!
Yes, that is a very stunted sulcata. With any tortoise going outside full time, you’ll need to construct a heated and insulated night box. @Tom has some great tutorials I highly recommend checking out.
It’s really not ideal to move them out at the beginning of winter, however, and it would be better to wait until spring. Would it be possible to construct a secure 8x4 minimum outdoor pen for warm days, and bring her inside at night?

for now, give these links a read. Your tortoise is not a hatchling, but a lot of this information is still relevant, and I’m sure you’ll find it useful.

The best way to raise a sulcata, leopard, or star- https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

you’ll also need to replace the repticarpet (which does not retain humidity and is nearly impossible to completely sanitize” with damp coconut coir, fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch, and replace the ramp bowl with a terra cotta saucer.

Ensure that she is being soaked daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I have what I have been told is a 10 year old (confirmed) African Sulcata that is only about 7 inches long. I inherited her from a family member who kept her in a 40 gallon tank (she can see out of it, which I have heard is stressful), with a red heat lamp and fed her mostly romaine lettuce. I have been researching the internet and I think I have been able to confirm she is a sulcata by looking at pictures, but I have also come to the understanding that her growth is very stunted to be this old and this small. I have started getting alfalfa hay and other more fibrous materials into her diet and she has taken to them well. I have also started to keep water in her habitat as the previous owner only soaked her every other week or so. I know she needs a different bulb, but am considering moving her outside to provide her more access to sunlight and a larger habitat.
Can anyone confirm that this is indeed an African sulcata? I know she needs a different bulb, but am considering moving her outside to provide her more access to sunlight and a larger habitat. I live in southern California where the temperature right now gets to about 80 during the day (high) and 45 at night. I do not want to stress the poor girl out even more, but would it be a good idea to make this move? All that I can find online is about baby torts moving outside when mine is a small adult-ish one. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice you might have.
Outdoors full time will work for this tortoise, but you MUST use a heated shelter. Like this:

I agree that it would be best to wait until warmer weather returns in spring, but you definitely need a larger indoor enclosure with substrate and the correct lighting and heating now. You can make a large outdoor enclosure and put the tortoise out for a few hours a day during nice weather.