Undertank heating pad Vs Heat tape

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hey peeps, looking to pick some brains. As a tortoise keeper I have zero need for, therefore zero knowledge about under tank heating pads and or heat tape/rope. However..........

I have started a colony of Dubia Roaches to breed and feed my Chameleon and my box turtles. These roaches won't breed until you get there temps up to 90 degrees. I have a Rubbermaid bin set up and need to either mount a under tank heater to the side of the bid or some heat tape to the side of the bin.

I kind of like the idea of the tape because I can hear a larger area... I can wrap 3 sides with tape. Has anyone used heat tape before? Is it reliable or will I need to be replacing it all the damn time?

No matter which route I take I'll have it hooked up to a Zilla t-stat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The person to talk to about this is Tom. He breeds them.

@Tom

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yes, @Tom raises them. I had some a few years ago and just kept them in my heated shed. No extra heat.

I thought about that. I'm making a new insulated box in my garage for my redfoot for winter and was thinking about making it large enough to put this bin in but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra cash in lumber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will breed at 75, but everything happens slower at that temp. I keep mine between 78 and 85 most of the year. In summer the temps up on my roach shelves reach into the 90s and it makes everything happen much faster.

I've got no experience with heat tape or rope. I've always managed to avoid those things. I don't like the exposed contacts on heat tape and I've been shocked by it before, so no thanks.

My bins are kept in a warm reptile room, so I've never had to heat them. I've seen people use Kane mats, RHPs, and regular heat lamps, but I'm no help with heat tape or ropes.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like the heat tape. As you mention, they can cover a larger area and don't get too hot. Also very reasonably priced. I think it is great for an incubator as I can cover the whole height of the modified wine cooler and get a much more even distribution of heat.

I get mine from helixcontrols.com The same place I get my best incubator proportional thermostats for incubators. They will make up the heat tape to the length you want and solder the connection and cover them so they are done right and not exposed. Lasts a long time this way - done properly.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I like ultratherm heat pads from reptile basics.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why don't you buy a reptile incubator the stand-up kind and use that ? No fussy heating crap to deal with . Just set it and forget it .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Two hundred dollars for this one ,but I'm sure there's cheaper ones out there.

Attachments

• 1505864809683.jpg
    1505864809683.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 11

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I should have a reptile room, specially if I keep acquiring them. I use my dining room now, so I can see them all!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
just a sidenote- an undertank heat pad was stuck to the bottom of a tank i have, and it cracked the tank. idk if it got too hot, or what. i would never stick them to the tank again. i might use one under the tank, but not directly stuck to the glass.

Not for roaches, but for reptiles.