Unexpected Tortoise Dad

Mr. Yertle

Location (City and/or State)
Rome
Hello all!

Recently I found a Russian Tortoise that was abandoned alongside a boat launch in my home town in Central New York. I instantly fell in love with the little guy and scrambled to house him (Monty) properly. And thanks to the plethora of excellent advice I found on this formula, the little guy is happy and doing better by the day.
Monty.jpg

Mr. Yertle

Rome
Welcome to the forum! If you haven’t already, please give these a read :) -
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Do you think it was abandoned, or do you think it escaped?

Oh yes! Studied those lists as soon as I found them.

The location was pretty far from any homes, and it is a very swampy area. Coyotes and foxes are numerous in the area as well. Glad I found him before he was a snack.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh yes! Studied those lists as soon as I found it.

The location was pretty far from any homes, and it is a very swampy area. Coyotes and foxes are numerous in the area as well. Glad I found him before he was a snack.

Tortoises can roam very, very large amounts of space. It might be a good idea to look for the previous owner. Maybe post ads around and on places like Craigslist. Be sure to ask for proof of ownership before giving it away to anyone.

Mr. Yertle

Rome
Tortoises can roam very, very large amounts of space. It might be a good idea to look for the previous owner. Maybe post ads around and on places like Craigslist. Be sure to ask for proof of ownership before giving it away to anyone.

Agreed! I did post on local forums and asked around. But it has been a month, so I am settling in as a happy tort poppa.