Unfortunate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kurihama, Japan
Sadly my enclosure for my tortoise is WAY to hot, and is not even close to being the right humidity... :(

So I am going to put him in a tote (I will put a small humidifier in it) until winter break when I can make a new enclosure...

I'm planning on put half of the lid back on the tote, and the other half can be the basking spot and so on...

What should the size be? He/she is about 2 1/2 inches long...

Thanks for your time :)

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I got a 54 gallon one for my Russian Rambo. It's $20 at home depot. All the other ones were way more or wicked small so it was a pretty good deal :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The 30-60 gallon range is usually OK. Look for the most floor space possible. I prefer the ones that have semi-clear bodies if possible.

It is not done by a long shot, but you can try www.tortoiselibrary.com for some ideas, or the somewhat more stable Google version in my sig below for some ideas.

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
You could also try a cement mixing tub from a hardware store, I got a huge one for like 10 bucks, and my redfoot loves it. I'll be building a massive tortoise table in February though :D

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Like what Abra and Madkins said, a plastic storage bin of at least a 3' x 2' size will suffice in the short term. You could also try a water trough of similar size (tank-depot has lots) or a feeding trough. Use a 2.0 UVB tube and a ceramic heat emitter. (no swirly bulbs as those haven't been proven safe for reptiles) RF's don't need that much UVB, and the 2.0 tube doesn't emit any heat at all. A ceramic heat emitter is also much less dehydrating than a heat lamp of any kind. You said you were having problems with humidity? Try investing in a warm-air humidifier and spray the tank at least 3 times daily. Use a moisture retaining substrate, such as a 70/30 mix of topsoil and play sand. Add some moisture-retaining additives such as cypress mulch, leaf litter, and sphagnum moss. I also think that covering half the enclosure with a piece of cardboard helps retain humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, your redfoot enclosure is 6'x3'. That seems pretty big to be getting too hot. Rather than buy a new tote and make a whole new enclosure can't you fiddle with the lights and heat to make your existing enclosure cooler? Raise the light and heat up higher. If you have more than one heat source, get rid of one of them.

Please post a picture of your enclosure and we'll be happy to work with you to fix what you've got instead of starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.