Unhealthy 6 month old Leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I agree with Kristina about the vitamin D3, though I'd keep it up for at least 3 months. Did you get Vitasol for birds? If you did, use enough drops to make the soaking water a bright deep yellow. At this point in time you can not over do the vitamin D3. You have to soak this way (as well as adding the liquid calcium to the water) at least every day for the next month.

Danny

playingeet

5 Year Member
Yes i did get vitasol, And the liquid calcium that i got today has D3 in it, actually quite a bit, i was able to get a small amount in her mouth and the last two days i have been soaking her in D3 calcium water. Thanks again for all the advice guys

playingeet

5 Year Member
So of course nothing changed overnight, but the clouds broke just now and i have her outside and trying to keep her warm in the 36 degree weather she refuses to eat absolutely anything, but is walking around with at least one eye open

ok as soon as a typed that I checked on her and she is eating dandelion greens atleast

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
If you cannot get the liquid in the mouth, you can squirt it up the nose.

I don't know why I never thought of that, John. Of course! The nares end up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat into the lungs. Stands to reason! Thanks for that.

Like I always say...you're never to old to learn, and I learn something new almost every day from this forum.

playingeet

5 Year Member
SO yesterday she ate pretty much enough dandelions to be a meal with the calcium d3 on it, today is a Beautiful cold sunny day, she is outside under the heat light and she seemed a little more energetic after her soak when i picked her up, I hope that she pulls through, and I will keep persistant

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Great to hear she is eating :) do you have any pic's ?we have not seen her yet :D

playingeet

5 Year Member
I made an album of a couple really old bad pictures, but that is all I can find right now

playingeet

5 Year Member
Well she didnt eat at all yesterday, and today she has declined everything, but it is sunny again so she will get a couple hours outside. :(

playingeet

5 Year Member
well the link does not show up on my computer, but her name is Morla and she is in the photo gallery, but pictures are prior to her being sick.
I had another question i wanted to ask, Since i have first got her, the shell has always been very mishaped, the plastron has lumps and almost "wrinkles on the top shell. I at first thought it was just a young hatchling trait, but after looking at more shells i have not ever seen that, This is out of the ordinary correct?

Attachments

• morla plastron.jpg
    morla plastron.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 63
  • morla top.jpg
    morla top.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 65

playingeet

5 Year Member
It was dry during this picture, she is not kept dry, this was just trying to keep her not too wet while outside in 18 degree temp with a heat light over her to get sun, she is warm but i thought wetting her might get her cold? Or does the shell look like she has been kept to dry for a long period?

And to add, should she have grown in 6 months? She has not even grown an 1/8 of an inch.

And there is dried calcium that didn't wash off easily on her shell to add to the dry white look on the shell

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The new growth areas on the plastron are raised and looking like they've been dry for a long time.

I'm thinking that she was a very big baby inside her egg, hence all the wrinkles. She'll outgrow that in time.

Take a look at Tom's thread, "How to raise healthy hatchlings" its for sulcatas, but works for leopards too.

playingeet

5 Year Member
thanks for all the help but she did not make it through the night.......:( very upsetting

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Damn, damn, damn!!! I hate that.

I'm so sorry we weren't able to help you get her well. This is an awful experience to lose a baby.

playingeet

5 Year Member
Very awful and it is sad , Thanks for everyone here that helped

Status
Not open for further replies.