Unhealthy or lazy baby?

Mitzyj

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth, Texas
So I am new at being a baby tortoise mom and I have some concerns. I have two babies, a boy and a girl. The boy ,Kai is active and curious he hates bathes, loves to wonder around, he eats a healthy amount for a baby, and sleeps a lot which is normal. The girl, Katalina, is very different from Kai. When I take her outside in the warm weather she doesn’t move around as much as Kai and she has a hard time eating she continues to miss when she extends her neck out for food so I help her and move it to where she has a better chance of getting it. Her eyes are very dry in the morning and i am bathing her every other day to keep her hydrated but it still take her a while to open her eyes. The part that concerns me the most is her “laziness” , I’m afraid there might be something wrong with her I would love some help from experienced people.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Please give these links a read, and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
You cannot tell the sex of tortoises until they are sexually mature. You still have a few years to go.
Tortoises do not need or want friends, and yours need to be separated.
What are your four temps-
Night, basking, warm side and cool side?
What is your humidity?
Can we see a pic of your tortoises and enclosures?

Mitzyj

Fort Worth, Texas
I got them a repticon (a reptile convention) the man who sold them to me said they were 2 years old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got them a repticon (a reptile convention) the man who sold them to me said they were 2 years old

We will need more info to help you and time is critical. Most people don't house or care for this species correctly, so it is urgent that we get the set up and conditions where they need to be ASAP.

What size are they at 2 years old?
What are the four temps in the enclosure that TechoCheese asked about, and what heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve those temps?
UV? What type of bulb?
Night heat? What kind?

Mitzyj

Fort Worth, Texas
We will need more info to help you and time is critical. Most people don't house or care for this species correctly, so it is urgent that we get the set up and conditions where they need to be ASAP.

What are the four temps in the enclosure that TechoCheese asked about, and what heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve those temps?
UV? What type of bulb?
Night heat? What kind?

IMG_1518892883.788482.jpg this is katalina said to be two years but not sure anymore.
Heating during the day is 80
Heating during the night drops to 75
My humidity is at 40-50 but I spray once or twice a day letting the humidity never get past 70.
I use the the fluckers fixture I use the 50watt basking spot light by exo terra
For the day time I was building a house to let them get close to the basking light so as of right now There is no basking spot close to the bulb I’m an not at home but when I am I will take a picture.

Mitzyj

Fort Worth, Texas

UV? What type of bulb?
Night heat? What kind?

I had a uvb, but i read that it causes blindness because it was a spiral so I’m ordering one online is there any suggestions for them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 230758 this is katalina said to be two years but not sure anymore.
Heating during the day is 80
Heating during the night drops to 75
My humidity is at 40-50 but I spray once or twice a day letting the humidity never get past 70.
I use the the fluckers fixture I use the 50watt basking spot light by exo terra
For the day time I was building a house to let them get close to the basking light so as of right now There is no basking spot close to the bulb I’m an not at home but when I am I will take a picture.

It is physically possible that your tortoise in the pic is two years old, but very unlikely. It would have to be a very slow grower for that to be accurate.

You definitely need to get the night temps up and since Kai is having a hard time, I would get ambient up to 85 day and night until two weeks after symptoms go away.

Most of what you need is in the threads that TechnoCheese linked for you, but here are some points specific to your situation:
  • No coil bulbs. This could be causing the eye issues.
  • Warmer at night, but still dark. CHE set on a thermostat is the way to go.
  • These two need separate quarters ASAP. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs and the stress of this is likely a contributing factor here.
  • Daily soaks for both of them, especially with the higher heat.
  • Closed chambers will make temperature and humidity maintenance MUCH easier.
Read those threads and then please come back with all your questions. We want to help. :)

Mitzyj

Fort Worth, Texas
It is physically possible that your tortoise in the pic is two years old, but very unlikely. It would have to be a very slow grower for that to be accurate.

You definitely need to get the night temps up and since Kai is having a hard time, I would get ambient up to 85 day and night until two weeks after symptoms go away.

Most of what you need is in the threads that TechnoCheese linked for you, but here are some points specific to your situation:
  • No coil bulbs. This could be causing the eye issues.
  • Warmer at night, but still dark. CHE set on a thermostat is the way to go.
  • These two need separate quarters ASAP. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs and the stress of this is likely a contributing factor here.
  • Daily soaks for both of them, especially with the higher heat.
  • Closed chambers will make temperature and humidity maintenance MUCH easier.
Read those threads and then please come back with all your questions. We want to help. :)
Kai is smaller then Kat could he still be two years? Also thank you so much! today is going to be a fixing all the problem in there house day lol !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kai is smaller then Kat could he still be two years? Also thank you so much! today is going to be a fixing all the problem in there house day lol !
Maybe. Post a pic of Kat and I'll share my observations.

Also, Kai is way to small to be able to know the sex yet.

Mitzyj

Fort Worth, Texas
Maybe. Post a pic of Kat and I'll share my observations.

Also, Kai is way to small to be able to know the sex yet.

Kat is the one I posted earlier and Kia was eating when I was taking pictures of Kat I didn’t want to disturb him while he was wearing I will take a picture when I get home