Unsure if my tortoise is okay?

Cake

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have a baby Hermann's Tortoise who I've had for over two years now. I live in New York, so it's starting to get colder/darker outside (he lives inside though). Recently he's been spending a lot of the time in the "cave" part of his enclosure, in the dark. He hasn't been eating much recently either. I was thinking it could be because of the changing weather but I'm not really sure. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Your temps are still normal? Also the how long are the lights on? Even when they are kept out of hibernation it seems they slow down. Not sure if they can sense the days are shorter or what but it happens. Do you keep weight of him/her? If the tort isn't losing weight I wouldnt worry too much, just keep a close eye on him.

Kyle

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We see a lot of these kinds of post this time of year. My Russian went through his slow down a little bit ago. Keep an eye on him, make sure all temps are correct, keep feeding and keep up with whatever soaks you do and most likely in a few weeks he'll be back to normal again. Mine was slowed for about a month.
Slow down usually happens at least twice a winter.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You must double check the temperatures and you must have the lighting as bright as possible.

Your home will be darker and cooler now the days are shortening and your tort will sense this.

Overnight it may be getting too cold. Now is the time to get a Ceramic Heat Emitter if you don’t have one. It needs to be on a thermostat and running 24/7. It will only cut in if it is too cool.

You may also need an additional light simply to make things brighter.