Until what age do you soak a sulcata. Rocky is getting pretty large

Nicole edwards

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
How long did you soak your sulcata for? Rocky is a little over a year and a half old and weighs approx. 10-11 lbs and it getting a little to large to soak. My only issue is that this is the only time he will use the bathroom, and I don't want him to go in his cage because that's just not sanitary. What have everyone else done? He is still living inside and it's a huge mess to soak him like I used to. 43810995-3CE6-4009-B877-35EC7F421D5B.JPG

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I only soaked Charlie for about a year or so but I think you should do it as long as you can. Maybe not as often as every day. Your tort looks big enough to move outdoors. Then your lawn will look like a mine field, like mine. When they are too big to soak, you can provide them with a pond or puddle so they can self soak. I often spray Charlie with the hose.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Big Charlie. I would still soak but maybe 2-3 times a week but still provide a large enough soaking area that he can self soak. I also agree he can live outside daily and if a hide is provided he could stay out at night locked up in a hide box that could be made to be a warm humid hide.

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
I agree with Big Charlie. I would still soak but maybe 2-3 times a week but still provide a large enough soaking area that he can self soak. I also agree he can live outside daily and if a hide is provided he could stay out at night locked up in a hide box that could be made to be a warm humid hide.

I only soaked Charlie for about a year or so but I think you should do it as long as you can. Maybe not as often as every day. Your tort looks big enough to move outdoors. Then your lawn will look like a mine field, like mine. When they are too big to soak, you can provide them with a pond or puddle so they can self soak. I often spray Charlie with the hose.

He is about to go outside withen the next couple of months. He is growing extremely fast at this point. I am currently soaking him 2-3 times a week and it seems to be fine with him. I will work on setting up some sort of self soaking pond in his enclosure.

Fresno, CA
How long did you soak your sulcata for? Rocky is a little over a year and a half old and weighs approx. 10-11 lbs and it getting a little to large to soak. My only issue is that this is the only time he will use the bathroom, and I don't want him to go in his cage because that's just not sanitary. What have everyone else done? He is still living inside and it's a huge mess to soak him like I used to. View attachment 205637
Wow!!! 1.5 year old... huge!!! How Beautiful that rocky is!!

Alicia Hoogstra

Great info! My little one is tiny still, but "she" eats like she's big! lol I am so excited to continue learning from everyone here! What an absolutely handsome boy you have!

Fresno, CA
He is very large for his age and he has also confirmed that he is in fact a male. Lol
yeah... I just trip out because I have a 1 year old (guesstimate) and he/she (we just say he) is barely even 3 inches!! gotta love nature! haha
but yeah... I get it... I have 2 red ear slider turtle siblings (inseparable since hatchlings) in addition to my sulcata and the female is about 10".. the male.. barely even 4".... its pretty hilarious.
I love your rocky!! he is a beauty!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long did you soak your sulcata for? Rocky is a little over a year and a half old and weighs approx. 10-11 lbs and it getting a little to large to soak. My only issue is that this is the only time he will use the bathroom, and I don't want him to go in his cage because that's just not sanitary. What have everyone else done? He is still living inside and it's a huge mess to soak him like I used to.

I soak them every day until they reach 100 grams. At that size I start skipping a day now and then. When they get larger, I still soak them a couple times a week in summer. You just need a larger tub. I use 3x5' concrete mixing tubs for my adults. You can also use large stock tanks from a local feed store. When they get too large to lift, get a friend or family member to help you lift.

Pia B

Massachusetts
I soak mine in a kiddy pool during summer and in winter I let him take warm showers , he seems to really enjoy those showers .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak mine in a kiddy pool during summer and in winter I let him take warm showers , he seems to really enjoy those showers .
Psshhhhh… Who doesn't love a warm shower in winter??? :D