Unusual scab/bump on side of head

Drago the red

Location (City and/or State)
Dousman
Hello!

First time poster, and pretty recent tortoise owner. We've had our red foot tortoise for about a month and half, about 9 months old all together. Today we noticed an unusual blister looking bump on the side of his head. I'm worried it could be ear abscess. Am I being too overly worried and just need to monitor or should I take him to the vet? Thanks again!20200720_185946.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is there swelling of that side of his face? Take a picture looking straight down at the top of his head.

I'll tag a member who knows all about ear abscesses and other such things.

@Yvonne G

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That just looks like the skin covering what would be his ear if they had ears. You should see the same thing on the other side of his head too.

Drago the red

Dousman
That just looks like the skin covering what would be his ear if they had ears. You should see the same thing on the other side of his head too.
He definetly has the skin covering on both sides, but the one side looks really inflamed. It protrudes significantly farther then the other, looks reddish like the picture and wasn't there before.

Drago the red

Dousman
Just wanted to post an update, ended up taking Drago to the vet. They said it was an abrasion and wanted to be safe by giving him an antibiotic. Thanks for all the help, and hopefully this thread helps someone else out in the future.