up growing beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppyredfoot

5 Year Member
hi guys, I have just today rescued a red foot tortoise from a woman who bought it for her daughter and shes now board of it. I have noticed that the bottom jaw/beak has grown up to its nostrils which i don't believe is normal and would say it was overgorwn but cannot find any help with overgrown bottom beaks growing upwards. Should i take him to a vets to get it trimmed down?? The poor thing has never had any hard foods of cuttle fish, rocks to keep it down which he has now got. I dont want to take any photos right now as hes only been with me a cpl of hours and settlinginto his new home. Just wondered if anyone had heard of this before. Thanks

Poppy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Poppy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

You'll need to take the tortoise to a qualified tortoise or bird vet for the beak trim. And it may take several visits before they can get it right. Yes, a lack of calcium and not having a hard surface or being able to bite the food, causes the lower beak to jut up and out. I have several tortoises like that and I have to trim that bottom beak about once a year.

Poppyredfoot

5 Year Member
Thank you, Will get him straight to the vet tomorrow. Im in the Uk, The midlands :)

Status
Not open for further replies.