Update on baby gamera

vocalisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stafford, VA
Here is my tortoise who is now about 3 months old. People on the forum thought he might be a cross breed. His skin color seems to be mottled sometimes.20150709_120659.jpg

Attachments

• 20150709_121633.jpg
    20150709_121633.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20150709_121705.jpg
    20150709_121705.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 33

Alaskamike

South Florida
Still very young, but that could be a leopard / sulcata cross. I've seen a few of these and yours looks very similar. You didn't get him from a breeder? I would think whoever bred the little fella would know. The Leopards ad Sulcata territories in Africa overlap They can cross breed genetically, and there are some breeders doing it on purpose to produce what they call "Lepocatas"

vocalisa

5 Year Member
Stafford, VA
Lepocata? Yes, that was what others on the forum thought, too. Thanks for the info. I got it from a pet store in Florida, as a sulcata. The coco-based substrate I used stained him a lot and I can't tell what his skin color is supposed to be. It looks both light and dark. How big do these cross breeds tend to get? I assume they would be smaller than sulcatas?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Lepocata? Yes, that was what others on the forum thought, too. Thanks for the info. I got it from a pet store in Florida, as a sulcata. The coco-based substrate I used stained him a lot and I can't tell what his skin color is supposed to be. It looks both light and dark. How big do these cross breeds tend to get? I assume they would be smaller than sulcatas?
I don't know about size, ever seen an adult one in person, but my guess would be bigger than a Leopard, smaller than a Sulcata.