Update on Beasley's new outdoor pen

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
My redfoot Beasley turned 25 yesterday! She has been with me 24.5 of those years. Longest relationship of my life other than my parents, my brother, and my best friend LOL. And I see more of Beasley!

Her new pen at our new place is coming along great! The large Rose of Sharon tree will take a while to bloom so I got a tropical hibiscus as well and potted it. I will see how it does indoors in the wintertime. Beas has snacked on the hostas a bit, causing me some worry (I got the biggest ones I could find and they were pricey!) but she seems only to want to snack, so making sure she has good breakfasts and goes out nice and full. ;-) Right now she is still coming in at night as it is getting down into the 50s and even 40s but most days it's 70F in the shade and warmer in the sun and she can be outside. She loves it and has already found 2 great butt-scratching places: under the spirea and on the end of the horizontal log. She uses her pond and hangs out in the cooler side when it's warmer. Once it is warm enough for her to stay out overnight, I have a locking house for her.

The plants are: Rose of Sharon (tree); tropical hibiscus; hosta (3 varieties--will seem which stands up best to a busy redfoot!); ferns; spirea bush; sedge grass. I haven't planted the sedge yet--still experimenting with placement, the sun, etc.

I need to get another hose--one I do so, I will have a hose running to the elevated sprinkler on a timer so it will turn on and humidify/water things a few times a day.

The pen is around 15x20, which is a little smaller than the one at the farm, but I don't think she cares or notices. It's a good size for her and will be for a while. Best of all, I can see her not only from the kitchen window but also when I sit out on the patio. I work out here on nice days and it is lovely seeing so much more of her. Where her pen was at the farm, I had to make a special trip to go see her (not far, just not anywhere near where I could sit and hang out), so that is a big improvement. :)

Cross fingers that the hostas mostly survive!

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • pen5.jpg
    pen5.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • water.jpg
    water.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
My redfoot Beasley turned 25 yesterday! She has been with me 24.5 of those years. Longest relationship of my life other than my parents, my brother, and my best friend LOL. And I see more of Beasley!

Her new pen at our new place is coming along great! The large Rose of Sharon tree will take a while to bloom so I got a tropical hibiscus as well and potted it. I will see how it does indoors in the wintertime. Beas has snacked on the hostas a bit, causing me some worry (I got the biggest ones I could find and they were pricey!) but she seems only to want to snack, so making sure she has good breakfasts and goes out nice and full. ;-) Right now she is still coming in at night as it is getting down into the 50s and even 40s but most days it's 70F in the shade and warmer in the sun and she can be outside. She loves it and has already found 2 great butt-scratching places: under the spirea and on the end of the horizontal log. She uses her pond and hangs out in the cooler side when it's warmer. Once it is warm enough for her to stay out overnight, I have a locking house for her.

The plants are: Rose of Sharon (tree); tropical hibiscus; hosta (3 varieties--will seem which stands up best to a busy redfoot!); ferns; spirea bush; sedge grass. I haven't planted the sedge yet--still experimenting with placement, the sun, etc.

I need to get another hose--one I do so, I will have a hose running to the elevated sprinkler on a timer so it will turn on and humidify/water things a few times a day.

The pen is around 15x20, which is a little smaller than the one at the farm, but I don't think she cares or notices. It's a good size for her and will be for a while. Best of all, I can see her not only from the kitchen window but also when I sit out on the patio. I work out here on nice days and it is lovely seeing so much more of her. Where her pen was at the farm, I had to make a special trip to go see her (not far, just not anywhere near where I could sit and hang out), so that is a big improvement. :)

Cross fingers that the hostas mostly survive!
Looks amazing