UPDATE ON GREEK TORTS EYES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
UPDATE!!! Now his left eye is covered by his membrane and his right eye is worse and I can now see the dirt in the corner of his eye above the membrane but I can't get it out by flushing or baths. I'm going to change his substrate immediately but What should I do to help his eyes?? It seems so uncomfortable and they are starting to swell!!

Previous tread I posted earlier...
I just got a new greek tortoise yesterday and his eyes looked very healthy but today his right eye is half covered by his membrane. I'm pretty worried that dirt is stuck in his eye. His substrate is the ZooMed EcoEarth Coconut Substrate and the ZooMed ReptiBark mixed together.
He is behaving normally and ate today. I gave him a bath and put sterile saline solution in his eye to try and flush it but it's still there. Is there anything else I should do and will flushing it have immediate relief?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Offer his a steam bath; offer his warm water soak in the bathroom---set him up in his own soaking tray, gently pour the warm water over his shell and over his head/eyes...slowly and gently---and keep flushing his eyes for at least 5 minutes to offer some comfort and hydration....

I would do this a couple times per day...after you do this I would wrap him up in a towel straight out of his soak and take him back to his enclosure...what type of lights do you use in his enclosure ? (heat and uv ray lights?)

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
For his lighting I used the Zoomed 100 watt day (white) and night (red) basking bulbs and for his uv bulb I use Zoomed UVB UVA reptisun. I don't think his uv bulb is considered a curly coil light but I could be wrong. I know those are bad for torts eyes. I got him from petsmart where I work, he was in a very tiny enclosure without a variety in food so I bought him to give him a better life.
About how long after do you think I should see results?

Status
Not open for further replies.