Update on my Horsfield Tort, Tyler.

Dan Tennick

Hi all!

Just thought I'd share with you some pics of my Horsfield Tortoise Tyler who is around 2 years old now.

I got him last year in July and he is just fab! He has a Tort Table with a 10.0 UV strip, 40w Basking Bulb, 80/20 mix Topsoil and play-sand and a vast array of artificial plants and bushes that he loves claiming over and under!

His basking area is controlled by a Thermostat and is 32 Degrees and at the other end of his enclosure is 21 Degrees allowing him to cool down when needed.

He has a really funny personality and we all love him. He really is a little gem. :)

Hope you all like the pics! :)

Dan.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426956394.778519.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426956406.616062.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426956415.899972.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426956436.818106.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426956455.627394.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pretty cool. Would be nice if you could make at enclousre bigger or do you put him outside in the summer warm months? Russians although small, need a very big area. Also, be careful with that water dish, many torts have drowned in them according to Tom. A low sided clay saucer would be better and much easier for him to get to the all important water.

Dan Tennick

Hello!

We do have him out in the Garden over the Summer months but we're I live in the North East of England, it's very cold! (Sometimes in Summer).. July and August could be just as cold and wet as it is on December.

The water dish I've heard the same thing however, I only have it shallow so it only just touches the bottom of his shell . :) I will however look into another water bowl. :)

Thanks for your comments :)

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Tyler is one handsome tort! I live in wales and have a horsfield tort also, so I feel your pain about the weather situation! I'm hoping to get mine out as much as poss this summer, fingers crossed!!

Dan Tennick

Thank you :) awh yes! Our weather is awful isn't it?

I've just purchased an outdoor pen for the Summer Months or days! Haha :)

Dan Tennick

Pretty cool. Would be nice if you could make at enclousre bigger or do you put him outside in the summer warm months? Russians although small, need a very big area. Also, be careful with that water dish, many torts have drowned in them according to Tom. A low sided clay saucer would be better and much easier for him to get to the all important water.

Thanks for your comment :) I have now sorted Out the water dish :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426979074.301811.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice, now just bury it so the top is level with the substrate. Maybe put some flat rocks around it, will help keep the water clean a little.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very nice tortoise and the enclosure is set up nicely. You could get a little more room in there if you took out that little dividing wall. You could add another hide to make up for taking away some of that dark space but it would give him more room to walk around. Just a suggestion. I had a tour table like that and taking away that little divider made a big difference.

Dan Tennick

Very nice tortoise and the enclosure is set up nicely. You could get a little more room in there if you took out that little dividing wall. You could add another hide to make up for taking away some of that dark space but it would give him more room to walk around. Just a suggestion. I had a tour table like that and taking away that little divider made a big difference.

Thank you :) Actually, we were thinking about doing that! He never goes in there for some reason and if he does, he walks in, then walks straight back out. I don't know why, maybe likes to be nosey lol.

This is him sleeping right now as we speak.. (4:46am here) so he's flat out. As you can see, he likes to sleep facing the wall and never uses the hide! :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426999621.905024.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you :) Actually, we were thinking about doing that! He never goes in there for some reason and if he does, he walks in, then walks straight back out. I don't know why, maybe likes to be nosey lol.

This is him sleeping right now as we speak.. (4:46am here) so he's flat out. As you can see, he likes to sleep facing the wall and never uses the hide! :)

View attachment 122910
Mine never used it either. Maybe if it was completely filled with dirt or something but then why would you do that? They probably feel like they are walking into a big open cave and that's probably not safe in the wild.

Dan Tennick

Mine never used it either. Maybe if it was completely filled with dirt or something but then why would you do that? They probably feel like they are walking into a big open cave and that's probably not safe in the wild.

Hmm.. Maybe? :/ well anyways, It's Sunday and DIY day today so thought I would take your advice onboard and he now has a much bigger space! Check out the pics attached :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427036782.757051.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427036793.810166.jpg