Update on surprise Greek Tortoise eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Rafiki, my Greek, laids laid two eggs 5/8 and I found two more buried 5/11. This was pretty much three weeks into being a tortoise owner. I'm not 100% sure when the second group of two were laid but I'm assuming it was close to the same day. Two of the eggs seem to have some sort of dark mass at the bottom of the eggs but no veins yet. One looks like something's going on in there i'm just not sure what.

The fourth one has veins!!! So cool!

Attachments

• veins!.jpg
    veins!.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 160

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, nothing like getting thrown right into it all at once. How exciting. Good luck. Keep us updated.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Thanks guys! I'm hoping for just one, that's it! I've got a son turning four this July. If just one hatches it's going to be his so they can grow up together. He is super interested in Rafiki and doesn't understand why he can't be all up in her face all the time. It's pretty cute.

dlrowe

5 Year Member
Great pic! How exciting!!! I hope you keep the pics coming!:)

Sent from my PG86100 using TortForum mobile app

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I will put as many pictures up that I take of the eggs! :D I'm super excited about this

dlrowe

5 Year Member
I bet!!! Little hatchlings are the cutest!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using TortForum mobile app

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Update: The one egg that is developing is growing great! almost to the point where no light shines through when candled. Two others are no good (I think). The fourth one I'm still confused about. Yesterday marks 40 days in the incubator. No more than 5 days ago we saw a tiny tiny little vein in the fourth egg. Yesterday we saw two. Could not see any embryo and the egg kind of looks yellow. We are keeping our fingers crossed that one. Next update will be in a week or so!

Haha I forgot to mention too that the 69th day of incubation (which should be right around when it'll pip) is on my son's 4th birthday. That would be so cool because the baby tortoise will ultimately be his!

Vickie

5 Year Member
farber2028 said:
Update: The one egg that is developing is growing great! almost to the point where no light shines through when candled. Two others are no good (I think). The fourth one I'm still confused about. Yesterday marks 40 days in the incubator. No more than 5 days ago we saw a tiny tiny little vein in the fourth egg. Yesterday we saw two. Could not see any embryo and the egg kind of looks yellow. We are keeping our fingers crossed that one. Next update will be in a week or so!

Haha I forgot to mention too that the 69th day of incubation (which should be right around when it'll pip) is on my son's 4th birthday. That would be so cool because the baby tortoise will ultimately be his!

Still crossing my fingers for you to hatch 2. I bet your son would be ecstatic if it worked out to hatch on his special day. :)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
blueturtle said:
any updates?

Nope, not really. Just waiting patiently for the one to hatch. Should be any day now. My son's birthday is tomorrow so hopefully it will decided to pip. That would be awesome. We are down to just three eggs now. We decided to toss one because it looked the same from day one. I know you really shouldn't do that but I feel as if that one had no hope. When you candle the one that's developed there's no light that shines through anymore. And we're on day 68 so it should be pretty soon. One of the other ones doesn't appear to have any life. The third one is confusing. One day it looked like it was nothing, the next we thought we saw two little veins. It has maintained a more pinkish color then the other not developing, which could be a good sign. The mass in the bottom isn't flat anymore either. It's hard to describe but it's like there's points on either end and one in the middle. Kind of strange but who knows. Hopefully within the week I'll be posting pics of the hatchling. :)

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
how exciting!! every petsmart and petco that i've gone to only have russions. i've never seen a greek

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I've been in and out of that same petco numerous times since we got her. They had her and a male. I think the male left pretty quick too. But since then I've not seen any more Greeks in there. Just Russians

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
around how much do they run out there?

i think they're about 130$ for the russians that i've seen.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
That seems pretty close. I wanna say they're 140 here.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
How much did u pay for the greek, how many inches is she?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

I wish u all the luck with the eggs

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
How much did u pay for the greek, how many inches is she?

I wish u all the luck with the eggs

i think it was 140. And she's 6 inches

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
U got very lucky. Did u got the male too at least...lol

I hope the egg is going to hatch tomorrow for your son's birthday

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Yeah me too. and no I didn't get the male but I kinda wish I did. Oh well that's for another time haha

Status
Not open for further replies.