Update: Zoo Keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
So after a long time I am finally a zoo keeper! Its at The Catoctin Preserve and Zoo. My department is brand new and only has one other employee in it. We take care of a small collection of animals but the owner said that he wants us to be in charge of growing our collection. Which is awesome!

Our department is a little of everything right now. It split off of the Herp department so we take care off some reptiles, the invertebrates, a few amphibians, the zoos ponds and their inhabitants, and bats. The reptiles include gila monsters, the turtles that live in the ponds and a few types of iguanas. Like I said its small but its up to me and my partner to get more animals to add.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
working in a zoo would most likely be a dream job for me, if I could work with the animals that is.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
The zoo I work at is privately owned. Its not like one of the private collections that is open to the public. Its just on the small end of the scale. So I could have one on one contact with the owner from the start. I guess it was a lucky break. The only other zoos around are The Washington and Baltimore Zoos and the most I could probably do there is volunteer and hope to get noticed. With this job i can get in experience as a zoo keeper from the start.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats. Have fun. I've worked a few days in a couple of zoos and really enjoyed it. Getting to build your own collection on somebody else's dime is a huge bonus.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Congrats!!!

What iguanas do you have? I had a Ctenosaura similis, it was awesome but vicious. My favorites are the Rhinos and Yucatan Spiny tails.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Ryan...that's great! A dream job. Congratulations!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Congrats Ryan. You're doing something that most of us can only dream of doing. I'm jealous, of course, but so happy for you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
Congrats Ryan. You're doing something that most of us can only dream of doing. I'm jealous, of course, but so happy for you.
Terryo said it all! You must look forward to going to work each day.

Jacqui

dmward1978

5 Year Member
Rhyno,

That's awesome!! I had no idea this Zoo even existed. I live in Northern VA and thought all we had was the City Zoos. I think we can expect that you'll be pushing for a large Chelonian exhibit right????

Congrats on the new gig!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Very cool.. Post pics or a website when you can.
And dont grow too big too fast..
ive dealt with a lot of 'rescues' and that is a huge downfall.. and learn to say NO when people are offering you animals that need homes.. start a network with other people/places, so when you do get approached from people in need of help, you dont just turn them away, but offer them other alternatives or help.
have Fun!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So is this a zoo designed to draw in school field trip groups and local families? It sounds like a "petting zoo" concept in which the visitors may touch and interact with some of the animals.

Do they operate on grant money, or just private donations?

It sounds so interesting and stimulating for you to have the "responsibility" to grow your collection. Don't hear enough of that "strategy" in today's tough economy.

Enjoy and congratulations.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Yeah most of the animals other than dangerous ones of course you can pet at their enclosure or a seminar.

Status
Not open for further replies.