Updated Photos-Trevor's "Big Boy" Mansion Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Continued from http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Trevor-s-Big-Boy-Mansion-Enclosure-Photos:

I think this will be the finished project for awhile...added more plants, moved the food to the corner, and made a few little hills. The "umbrella" plant is pretty cool. I'll have to watch for him climbing them, but I think I got the angles so he won't want to. Too bad I had to use duct tape (and on one with a short stem, some duct tape wrapped plastic knives to make it longer!). He is settling in very well,and has actually got up on his own the last two days in a row! I'm actually happy with the original heat/light locations, and just tweaked them up and down a bit. I think he likes the warm water because I find stuff tracked in there, so he must be using it. Only thing is, because its warm, he keeps trying to burrow under it and make a huge mess! I kept pulling him out, so maybe he finally got the picture. Happy little guy. :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You know I just love updates on Trevor. :D That first picture is so cute of him looking at the camera like "Yes it's all mine". :p He's one lucky little guy to have you guys as parents. I always love to see spoiled tortoises. ;) He has a very nice color to him it's so light. And I love the picture of him walking away showing off his big tail. :) Great job with his "Mansion".

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
Great enclosure, there is plenty of space for him to rome around, he is such a beautiful tort as well.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I love his "Big Boy" mansion. He is one good looking and lucky tort!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wowww!!! That is a tortoise paradise :cool: Trevor is one lucky tortoise! I love the plants and the enclousre is huge. I always loved your idea of having hay pile, I think I am going to do the same with Hermys enclosure. Trevor is getting big beautifuly. He is gorgeous!!! Does he still inactive or is he his old self again?
Again amazing job kate!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
He's so weird...when we're home, he is crazy active and one happy tort. When we are at work or otherwise gone, no sign of activity (and we find him in his burrow when we return). I guess thats a sign he likes us lol? Hoping he picks back up when the winter is over (even though we keep the temps up, I know they are a bit lower than summer, and he can feel the pressure/season change). His appetite has been less than half this winter, but he is still actually gaining weight, just much more slowly (what I'd expect now that he's reaching his expected adult size). His tail has been growing like crazy...our little guy. So happy he stayed so green too. Haven't seen too many of those. I guess soon it'll be time to play "guess the subspecies"! Yes...so fun to spoil him! Its funny but now that he's settled into the enclosure, it doesn't seem so huge.

He has loved the hay piles ever since we got him. I had read at first that Russians like to eat hay (which of course is very false), so that is why I put it in at first, but he loves to hide in it, climb, and use it to tilt himself up to bask...makes a great hide int he warm areas as a lot of heat comes through (unlike some of the other sheltered hides). Pretty natural too without the live plant maintenance. Timothy hay or orchard grass are good choices. I like the fancy stuff from Carolina Pet Supply, but its way pricey, so next time I'll probably try a feed store since we like to buy in bulk (Petco and such has stuff that doesn't smell fresh and isn't as soft). We go through more hay than you'd expect as he spends most of his day in it (and thus poops and we generally want to replace it), or else it gets trampled and ground into the aspen so we scoop it out.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! So sweet. Best wishes.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I love pictures 11 and 12, so cute. He is a handsome fella. His "Big Boy" house is awesome!!! You did a great job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.