Updating my indoor enclosure.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
Well, It's time to update our enclosure for Mo. He's over 1 year old now and weighing in at 754g (1.66 lbs). He's still in a 4x4 enclosure and on coair substrate. Thinking it's time to move him to some sort of bark, as he seems to be getting the coair in his nose quite a bit lately. Maybe also getting a large piece of flagstone that could serve as a food rock, basking rock, and nail file. Any recommendations of how to set up the enclosure? @Elohi I modeled my original enclosure after you, so I'd love your input as well.

We would like more humid hide ideas as well. We currently have a large one made of PVC and window shrink wrap (with a flower pot inside for shelter), but it's awfully bulky in the enclosure. What should we use instead? Thanks for any input you have.

IMG_0615.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your leopard looks great! How large of an indoor / putdoor enclosure are you planning on? There are all kinds of ideas on humid hides, you're right, your current one does sound bulky.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I never use coir for leopards. I use fine grade orchid bark from the time they are hatchlings. I get it in bulk for a low price at local garden centers. Home Depot or Lowes are not likely to carry it, but Barb says they have it near her in Chicago, so it won't hurt to look. I've been using this stuff:
Orchid Bark.JPG
If your garden center doesn't have it, see f they can order it. I've been using this one for about 4 years now. Its only $10 a bag. 2 bags will do a 4x8 closed chamber nicely. Go for three if you really want a thick layer.

Get a couple of 10-12" terra cotta saucers and sink those into the substrate for food and water. Nothing works better.

For humid hides, I usually use plastic tubs flipped upside down with a door hole cut out, but it looks like he's outgrowing that stage. Its about time to build him and outdoor box and get him moved outside. If he keeps growing at his current pace, he should be about ready to live outside full time in spring.