Upgraded habitat for less then 70$

glitch4200

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW suburbs of Chicago
So yesterday I spent the entire day upgrading my Russian tortoises habitat. I did this all with 67$. To say you can't upgrade on a budget is to be one, not creative and two, not really wanting to put the effort into it. This table top is super simple, cheap, and very effective with Temps, humidity, and airflow.
You can never have too much room for a tortoise as you all know. But when space is limited you do what you can to provide your special little guy(s) the best we can. I used 7 one and a quarter by 3 1/4 planks. I cut them to fit the size I have available which was 53" by 25" with a 10inch depth all the way around. For my base I used a 1/2 inch thick plywood 24 1/2 X 8ft. Things
you need: saw, tape measure, wood screws, your favorite herbal medicine ;), marker, wood glue and screwdriver with drill bits. Essentially I created my base using the planks the long way gluing and screwing it in for extra protection from the weight of the substrate. Next, I cut and stacked the planks to the base, Screwing and glueing as I worked my way up. I made a top for the table too which I will be hanging newly wired up tube lights for him soon. Ill post some more pictures to explain what I did. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• 1406049406440.jpg
    1406049406440.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 261

emmalaub

5 Year Member
Is that sand? Because, I deeply despise sand for tortoises, it can cause impactions which are very bad for tortoises and can easily be ingested.

Jami

Very nice job! I've heard sand is not good too, but I'll let those with more experience help with all that. I really like what you made! Good job!!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
IS that sand :D Because in can cause impactions, health issues... :( I do like the creativity though! Do you just have the one tort living in there?

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
The sand is only a base for the substrate. I added another brick of Coco in there so the sand is completely covered by a hefty amount of Coco.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I use sand to give me the depth I want and then use like 2 or 3 bricks of Coco to cover it all up. I know sand isn't good for them though thank you for the kind words though :)! And yes I have one single Russian in there. I don't have the room to add a second lovely tortoise. So I am going to spoil this one for all eternity.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I am not done yet with his new setup I need to install 2 long tubes for uvb and add the second level to his home. Haha yes there will be a second floor to this crazy new home.

Jami

I am not done yet with his new setup I need to install 2 long tubes for uvb and add the second level to his home. Haha yes there will be a second floor to this crazy new home.
Very cool!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is very, very well done. Some do mix a bit of sand with their substrate. That is a minor issue compared to a healthy diet, good UV and a well built enclosure.
In any case, good job with the UV lighting, the landscaping, and instructions on how you built it.
I look forward to your 'addition'!

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Thank you I very much appreciate the kind words. I think you guys will really like the finishing touches on the new habitat. But there is always room for improvement of course. Once I can get a wall dedicated for him. I really get to make something completely unique and functional for him.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It looks great!!

As far as substrate, a small recommendation: to get the bulk/depth you need without breaking the bank or having to use almost entirely sand (what it sounds like you're doing), you can use cheap plain top soil or organic, perlite-free potting soil... Or, if you're very fond of eco earth, order your bricks online (sooo much cheaper) and load up on those. Between the torts and lizards, it's insane how much eco earth I go through around here. Haha!

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
The playsand I get is like 2.50 a bag plus like a couple 3 stacks of Coco bricks online. I spend maybe 15$ - $20 max every time I change the substrate. Once a month or so. More then affordable. Plus making my own box for less then 70$ I don't know if I will ever use topsoil again. I had bad experience during the winter with it. Extremely messy. Clumpy. Weird **** I didn't trust in it. Idk. I felt sand is the most natural. They are hardy creatures that live in a lot of sand in there natural habitat anyways. Of course I soak him 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes he absolutely loves the water. He fights me sometimes to stay in or change the water to make it warm again.. I'm going to manards right now to get stuff to make the second level to the home.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
My guess is about 3 years old and he is roughly 4.5 inches. My guess comes from petco telling me he was about 2 when I got him and the fact I have had him a year in October. So I would say about 3 maybe 4.. But it sucks there is no for sure way to tell.. Here is a more up close shot I took this today lol

Attachments

• 1406165625961.jpg
    1406165625961.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 81

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, consider the source. Pet shops have no idea the age of tortoises...especially small species like Russians. In order for a Russian to be bigger than 4" (they can't buy them under 4" legally), he will already be about 5 or 6 years old, and maybe even older.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
5 or 6 you say? Maybe even older? Interesting. Well I'm sure you would know better then I would. Haha well I must pick an age for him and stick with it! Let choose.. 5 years old when I got him. So he would probably be turning 6 October then. :)