Upgrades people, upgrades

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Tomorrow I'm going to buy some things for Sunny to upgrade his enclosure, I don't want to leave anything out, so any help is appreciated!
New orchid bark
Shower curtain
Low wattage CHE (50W)
Silk plants
I'm looking for a photo of the habitat, but can't find anything
(Also what leaves are non toxic?)
The habitat has a layer orchid bark and piece of corex plastic on the bottom.
It is closed. It has one large fake plant, and one ponytail palm.
He sleeps in a half cut plastic flower pot.
Could I add anything?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Tomorrow I'm going to buy some things for Sunny to upgrade his enclosure, I don't want to leave anything out, so any help is appreciated!
New orchid bark
Shower curtain
Low wattage CHE (50W)
Silk plants
Could I add anything?
I liked to put spider plants in mine. Looks great, is edible, and offers a nice hiding spot for them.

norma.b

St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
New orchid bark
Shower curtain
Low wattage CHE (50W)
Silk plants
Could I add anything?
Why not add a few Hen and Chicken plants. Tortoises can eat them. I prefer living plants. More natural.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Well I couldn't find any hen and chicken plants near me (which is weird because they are native here) But I got some silk plants, and Sunny is happy, so it turned out great!20220118_104724.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Well I couldn't find any hen and chicken plants near me (which is weird because they are native here) But I got some silk plants, and Sunny is happy, so it turned out great!View attachment 339146
It won't be long before other people on here tell you NOT to use fake plants. Some tortoises try to eat them and can get intestinal blockages from doing so as the fake plants are pretty much indigestible.

I'm not sure if silk is digestible or not, but I am thinking it may not be good for your tortoise to try eating it. I would recommend watching closely to make sure the tortoise is not attracted to the leaves as a possible food source or, better yet, just replacing them with some real plants.

norma.b

I am releasing the hingeback tort that wandered into my garden 2 years ago in N. KZN S. Africa. It's been happy and well cared for. Grown 2 cm in length and looks healthy. Loves mushrooms and butternut which I have been supplementing and soaking once a week but tried to keep it eating mainly what it would find in the wild. Will miss him/ her. Im still undecided on gender. Will try to post photos.

Attachments

• 20220122_063916.jpg
    20220122_063916.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220122_063916.jpg
    20220122_063916.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It seems to be male, do you perhaps have pictures of its face and carapace? (He/She is beautiful!)

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Beautiful, I suspect they are either zombensis or natalensis, if you have Facebook, you can post images of them on "Hingeback Tortoise Group" if you want too, they love to see hingebacks in the wild, one of the admins @2turtletom is on here, I think he'll love to see the images too.

norma.b

Beautiful, I suspect they are either zombensis or natalensis, if you have Facebook, you can post images of them on "Hingeback Tortoise Group" if you want too, they love to see hingebacks in the wild, one of the admins @2turtletom is on here, I think he'll love to see the images too.
I thought Natalensis as They are in the KZN St Lucia area.