upper respiratory infection **please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bab310

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I want to thank everyone in advance for any help you can give.

Here is the situation I've had my sulcata for about 2 years with no trouble... good eater plenty of room to roam the usual. Yesterday when i picked her up I heard the infamous clicking or popping sound you always hear about when people talk about RNS or a upper respiratory tract infection. I watched her for a while and there is no runny nose but i did notice one little bubble come out of her nostril. Here is where the help is needed....I was let go from my job a few months ago and have no money (may even lose the house) but i want to treat my tortoises infection. Is there any antibiotic or treatment I can give without having to take her to the vet? If there is how do I dose her and where can I buy it? from a website or store??

Again thank you so much for the help.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can get terramycin powder on line or at a local feed store. Most feed stores carry it as it's used for cattle. Right now you can up the heat on the tort and keep it hydrated. But as long as it's eating and active I wouldn't worry all that much. You saw one bubble? That could also be caused from being too dry. And the clicking sound might not mean anything either.
The bag of powder costs about $4, so you can get that and then soak the tort in that powder and I add bird vitamins to the water also...HTH

bab310

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the info....I did crank the heat up and have been soaking her as well. I will give it a few days and see if things are any worse or the same.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get the terramycin powder and soak in that just in case.
Again thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's what Maggie's talking about:

http://animalmedicstore.stores.yahoo.net/ter343conbyp.html

Because it is packaged up for larger animals, and the directions on the package wouldn't work for your tortoise, you would use one quarter teaspoon of powder for each quart of warm water. This is a broad spectrum antibiotic and I use it on my tortoises before I use the heavy-duty Baytril. You soak the tortoise in the solution for about a half hour. If they don't drink it, its still ok because they do absorb some of it through the thin skin on the under-side of their neck and the area around the cloaca.

But just wait and see if your tortoise really is sick. The one bubble you saw might mean nothing.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.