Urates With blood drops

Smiles07

Location (City and/or State)
San Mateo, California
Hi, I have a 6 months old Russian Tortoise. All the temperatures and humidity is maintained well. Vet visit was done 2months ago and vet confirmed he’s completely healthy and the enclosure is well maintained.
Recently a month ago he fell on his back while climbing a log and he almost made himself upright but cause it’s a flat surface, he failed. He was on his back for like 30mns and on his side for like 5-10mns to make him upright. 2weeks later he fell on his back again while climbing the log and he was on his back for like 5mns, and I made him upright. He usually eats and poops okay. But in the last 2days he hasn’t been eating properly. I offer him Dandelion greens, Arugula. From the last 4 days I included Kale in his diet and he loves it. I gave him little bit of lettuce mixed his regular diet twice this week and he didn’t eat the lettuce much. I gave him a Dandelion flower today and that’s the only thing he ate. While eating he passed Urates (a lot) with tiny poop and little bit of blood drops. He used to pass urates a little when I used to give him Calcium everyday and Vet told me to cut down the calcium as he gets it from Dandelions. I give him food dusted with Vitamin powder once a week. He never passed a lot of urates and I feel like one side of his bottom is deforming, when I touch it I could feel it but visually I can’t notice it yet. Cause of the Corona Virus, I am not able to take him to vet. Can you please help me what to do. Please see the pictures attached of his urates.66A64CFC-7515-4EBA-96E5-64594F5440E1.jpeg2D142CB8-8AE2-4F39-A357-12F36A6713BA.jpeg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are a few diet items that can stain/color urates. In your picture it does not like blood to me, blood changes color quickly when exposed to air, turning almost black.

I don't know the whole chemical pathway that causes it, but dandelions can color urates. Beets, leaves or root can too. Any chance your tortoise ate one of those items?

Maybe take the log out of the enclosure.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You'd have to post some photos of him from different angles for anyone to comment on the deformity you are seeing.

His fecal balls look very dry. Urates are formed when a tortoise's circulatory system is conserving water. Daily soaks and attention to the water content of his daily diet can help him produce a more liquid urine and easier-to-pass feces. His diet is a bit fiber poor, so consider getting some fresh (not dried) cactus pads...most torts like them very much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Urates are result of protein digestion and a lack of hydration. More hydration reduces urate production. Less protein in the diet reduces urate production.

Before I read Will's post, I was thinking that might be something the tortoise ate, and not blood. Looks like I had the same idea he did.

Read this thread on diet. Two good posts there:

Smiles07

San Mateo, California
Hi Everyone, thank you for posting the helpful information.
Had a vet visit and in the x-ray we found a big stone, he’s currently on antibiotics. Vet took a blood sample to perform additional tests.
In a month vet is gonna suggest me wether to go for a surgery or let him get bigger and the stone passes out on it’s own.